• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dutch Dwarf - Mr Cookie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Cookie

Banned
I have had him for 8 years. I love him very much. He's a house rabbit, litter trained, and has full use of the house. He can be a fesity ****** but he also likes some attention now and then. When my gf isn't here, he sleeps in the bedroom, either under the bed or on the bed by my feet... I have a garden, but he seems to prefer being in to out...

He has never been ill. He's very hardy. Until now. For about 18 hours or so I noticed he was not his usual self. By 12 midnight he was fairly weak, not eating or pooing, and I suspected GI stasis. I came to these forums read a few threads and through the night I administered by syringe about 10ml of water/grass/hay/kale/dandelion leaves and a few maybe 0.25ml of lactulose.. I was very conservative with doses.. I massaged belly.. stroked him.. and kept an eye on him.. constantly massaged him and petted him.. this morning he got very weak, his legs would splay from underneath when he was placed on a shiny surface, and I thought he was going to die in my arms as I rushed him to the vet..

I have left him with the vet. I did the right things yes? Might he get better? They are going to do an X ray and put an IV in...

Last edited:
I have had him for 8 years. I love him very much. He's a house rabbit, litter trained, and has full use of the house. He can be a fesity ****** but he also likes some attention now and then. When my gf isn't here, he sleeps in the bedroom, either under the bed or on the bed by my feet... I have a garden, but he seems to prefer being in to out...

He has never been ill. He's very hardy. Until now. For about 18 hours or so I noticed he was not his usual self. By 12 midnight he was fairly weak, not eating or pooing, and I suspected GI stasis. I came to these forums read a few threads and through the night I administered by syringe about 10ml of water/grass/hay/kale/dandelion leaves and a few maybe 0.25ml of lactulose.. I was very conservative with doses.. I massaged belly.. stroked him.. and kept an eye on him.. constantly massaged him and petted him.. this morning he got very weak, his legs would splay from underneath when he was placed on a shiny surface, and I thought he was going to die in my arms as I rushed him to the vet..

I have left him with the vet. I did the right things yes? Might he get better? They are going to do an X ray and put an IV in...

I am sorry to hear how ill your Rabbit is. Sadly he really should have been taken to the Vet last night. Giving syringe feeds to a Rabbit without being certain that there is no abdominal obstruction has the potential of making the situation worse. Giving Lactulose is only appropriate after administering aggressive IV or subcutaneously fluid therapy. Lactulose is also only of benefit in specific GI tract issues. Pain relief is also extremely important.

I really hope that Mr Cookie can recover now he is at the Vets.

Last edited:
Oh no, poor Mr Cookie. I don't have any experience of stasis myself but from what I've read I'd say you've given him the best chance by being so vigilant and coming to the forum. He's definitely in the right place now and I will keep everything crossed that your vet is able to help him and that he makes a full recovery. Be sure to update and let us know how he's doing.

If you suspect that your bunny isn't eating/pooping it is best to try to tempt them at home first and if this is not successful get them to the vet asap. I would normally only allow 1-2 hours before taking them to the vet. Also I would not syringe food unless a blockage had been ruled out and advised by the vet.

Fluids (the IV) are one of the most important things to help keep them hydrated and the x-rays will be to check if there is any blockage. Are they going to try to do the x-rays conscious if your bun is so week.

While he is in you should ask them to check his teeth as this can sometimes be related to them stopping eating as he may need a dental.

He will also need some painkiller e.g. metacam.

He is in the best place now and I hope that he has a quick recover so your feisty boy can come home soon.

he's my little boy.

the vet just phone and said they can't get the IV in because the veins have collapsed?!

They are keeping him warm and trying to give fluids by mouth...

x ray hasn't found anything unusual.. but he is podgy.. blocked..

Last edited:
he's my little boy.

the vet just phone and said they can't get the IV in because the veins have collapsed?!

They are keeping him warm and trying to give fluids by mouth...

x ray hasn't found anything unusual.. but he is podgy.. blocked..

Vets can give sub-cut fluids which don't require IV. It's certainly better than fluids by mouth, which in his state would be poorly absorbed anyway. They are probably giving metaclopromide to get his gut moving. Please make sure your rabbit is with a savvy vet who has time to look after him.

If it were me, I would be phoning and asking exactly what they are doing and getting regular updates. You may be already doing that ..

Good luck xx

I keep thinking I did something wrong.. I just realised one of his water bowls still had water from 1 week ago... I hadn't changed the water..

This is my fault.

Sorry you lost your bunny. You will blame yourself, Ive been there, but realistically 8 is a pretty good age for a bun and if he had never suffered before that is something to be thankful for. If you get another rabbit try to learn as much as possible about them so you know what to do and what signs to look out for to indicate that bunny might not be very well. RIP Mr Cookie.

I am blaming myself.

I thought I knew the signs of GI stasis.. but it was too late yesterday to go to a vet....

I thought TLC from me would bring him back to normal... I now worry that a bowl that had water in it for a week.. maybe that was the reason..

Sorry to hear this sad update... Binky free xx

Its a learning curve for all of us, we all make wee bloomers at one time or another while looking after our bunnies and learn from it. It may not have been the cause of his death though, it my have been something else. Dont beat yourself up over it......

((Hugs)))

Fee x

the vet said they couldnt get the IV in to a vein...

I can't believe he has gone.. he is on my lap.. i can hear a squeak when i hold him.. rigor mortis has set in.. I know this isn't healthy but I feel I have dropped a ball....

the vet said they couldnt get the IV in to a vein...

I can't believe he has gone.. he is on my lap.. i can hear a squeak when i hold him.. rigor mortis has set in.. I know this isn't healthy but I feel I have dropped a ball....

There is nothing unhealthy about loving him, as he was and as he is now. You need to take all the time in the world. This was so very sudden.

I am so very sorry he never made it. :cry:

It is normal to think of all the what ifs (we all do it) but he did not get to a good age of 8 without your love and care.

Sleep tight Mr Cookie x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back