• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fiver still not eating much but improved attitude U/D post #11

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
Since his dental yesterday Fiver has been in pain and barely picking at food. He had 0.2 mls dog metacam yesterday about 4 p.m. He weighs approximately 1800 grams? Kilograms? Not sure of the metric here but that's the number on his bill. Is he neding more metacam?
I opened some plain pumpkin which we used to give him after dentals and he took a bit down hungrily but still sitting hunched up. Been too long since we last did ths so I'm lost. Please help :cry:

Last edited:
Has he poo'd and is he drinking ?

0.2mls of Dog Metacam is a minute dose and will be well out of his system by now. My Vet would use a dose range of 0.36ml- 0.72ml/24hrs for a 1.8kg Rabbit

Thank you for the vibes, Zoobec, always appreciated. :)
Thank you Jane, okay, so that means Fiver can have at least 0.2 mls every 12 hours, right? Or could I give him a one time dose this morning of 0.3 and if he seems better this evening bump him back own to his 0.2 mls?

He is now digging on a towel on my bed and has just eaten a harvested dandelion leaf. He has been drinking because his litterbox was wet (plus I just saw him do it) and there were about 7-9 tiny pips in there from approximately 11 PM last night, but that's all. I'm guessing his tummy was pretty empty from dental time yesterday and I did give him a small piece of kale yesterday afternoon (sorry, I know it's a cruciferous but it's all I had except for some mint which he's never eaten before and I wanted to avoid any further distress.)

Pip is also only making miniscule poos this morning but she has 0.3 mls metacam in her now so should be more comfy soon. (She is approximately 2600 g) She's also eaten a dandelion leaf...they are just starting to look spotty since we had frost last night. :(

Oddly, Mimzy is the one doing the best, he was heartily munching hay while I was fussing over Pip and has left quite a lot of poos all over his enclosure. Go figure! :roll:

At least Fiver is moving about. I was a bit worried his tummy was gassy since it felt "full" and of course my anti-gas liquid (infacol for you guys) is out of date. :(

It sounds like you have your hands full with them all :(.

As Jane said about the metacam, Fiver's dose is really small.

I hope they are all feeling better soon. Sending loads of vibes xx

If Fiver has some output I would be inclined to give him a syringe feed before giving him more Metacam xx

Thanks Jane, I did give him the plain canned pumpkin puree and he ate a dandelion leaf, and now he's just yanked some fresh green hayseed out of my hand! :shock:
I only have pellets here, my Critical Care was out of date also and completely frozen through so I tossed it out the other day and neglected to get any more from the vet. (I simply can't function on four hours sleep, I forgot so many things yesterday!) Pellets give him dysbiosis, should I go ahead and mush him up some anyway?
Since he'd eaten the greens and the pumpkin I went ahead and gave the 0.3mls about 15 minutes ago and he went back and finished a bit more pumpkin as well. He's moving about a little better and seems less stiff. Really enjoying digging on the bed-covers right now, which is much more my Fiver than I found when I woke up. :)

I have to remember he also got a bum shave and so I wonder if part of his posture is the odd feeling of no fur on his nether regions. :shock: But I notice if he eats anything hard like the hay he runs that tongue around in his mouth a bit, so he must still feel odd in there after having had a spur for so long.

Ah! he just bun-loafed and tooth purred! :D

He spent a little time bouncing around on the bed so he can't be too bad off. But he is working that mouth. I guess it must feel pretty different for him.
He's done a few more and bigger poos just now so things are moving through. Just not a lot of things. We'll keep an eye on him, I think by tomorrow this time he will hopefully be better.
Many thanks again for all the vibes. :D

Evening update-still not really eating much but seems relaxed

Poor little guy has passed a few nasty cecals which he hasn't eaten, but I find that is pretty standard after dentals. Must be something in whatever anesthetic they give him that makes them completely unappetizing.
He's only nibbled a little bit of hay. I'm hoping this will improve overnight. We've got heavy frosts coming so will have to gather some hayseed before it gets burned in the cold or the bunnies won't be interested in it at all.

He's been very head shy again, not sure if that's due to pain or if the hospital staff scared him somehow. :(

Right now he's chilling on my bed as he's been most of the day...when he's not digging madly in the blankets. :lol:
fiver%2520from%2520phone%25208-28-14%2520003.jpg

This is a much improved expression from earlier today. :thumb:

On a side note, Pip is also eating just a wee bit of hay this afternoon and has been chewing on a willow tree chunk as well, so I'm hoping she'll be much better by tomorrow too. Her poos were tinier than Fiver's today and that's saying something. :shock:

Last edited:
Awe. What a cute but sad looking little face. Sending more vibes for all 3 that they are back to feeling good by morning.

Oh bless him :love: I'm sending more vibes to them all, hope they are all feeling better soon, and then you can relax :thumb: we don't see enough pics of your bunch mimzmum!

What a cutie.:love: Glad everything is slowly improving. Mr B always takes a week, sometimes longer to fully recover from a dental. Shame your vet won't give you a higher dose of metacam, even the little chinchillas get a 0.1 mg dose. Mr B gets a 0.7 mg dose for a few days after his dental.

Back