• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

No painkillers after spaying plus licking the stitches

Lalaloves

Young Bun
Hello,
I took my girl to the vet today for spaying. Vet is rabbit savy (one of the three 'top' rabbit vets in the country let's say; I also have to mention that I live in a small country where rabbits as pets aren't that popular). The nurse/his right hand didn't give me any meds (such as metacam) to take with me home which was very weird to me because I spayed the other rabbit at their clinic and I got metacam for the next three days). I also told her that but she said that the vet gave my rabbit a painkiller after the surgery and that that's enough). I'm confused. :(
My bunny eats hay, parsley, pellets if I force her to. She pooped but I gues those poops are from her breakfast that she had before the procedure. She doesn't want to drink so I try to give her 'wet' parsley.
I also noticed she is licking her wound/stitches area? Is that ok or should I be worried? Should I get a bandage around her tummy? I don't know what to do, I'm desperate. I'm thinking of stayin awake with her during the night so she doesn't hurt herself (=bite off the stitches).
Please help me.

Licking the wound isn't a good sign. My bun opened her wound up from doing that and she had to get a vest fitted at the vets.

You need to go back and demand a course of pain relief. The injectible kind given after the op only lasts 24hours

She needs pain meds, she will be licking cos she feels it sore. She may well have had meds at the vets but they will wear off and she will need a top up over the next few days.

Vets for rabbits don't work during nights so I will call them in the morning. :/ should I give her a bandage?

She will probably just bite the bandage off.

Maybe just try to distract her from biting at it, I know thats easier said than done!

Back