• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch help needed for newbie please

flumpy

New Kit
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and am hoping to provide a loving home to two mini lop girls soon.

I have been kindly given this hutch by a neighbour, is it any good? http://www.eggshellonline.co.uk/fluffy-rabbit-hutch-and-cover.html I'm not sure it has enough space for them to run around.

I was originally going to buy a 6x4 shed for them to live in and attach a run for the daytime, would that be better? I can't decide on the best type of run though, I am completely paranoid about foxes (although I am pretty sure we haven't had foxes in our garden for quite sometime now). But I really want to protect the rabbits and keep them as safe as I possibly can. Do you have any recommendations?

Many thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

A shed would be better! And easier for you to clean out and interact with the rabbits.

These coop style ones are small, often not that well made, and you need to be a yoga master to get in to all the corners to clean it out.

I would personally opt for a shed, as when the weather is horrendous (think rain, sleet, snow) you can dash into the shed and clean them out in the dry and relative warm and also give them cuddles :D

I am relocating my buns at present and toyed with the idea of a hutch (they're currently in a shed) and as well as the reasons above, the reassurance of being able to shut them in at night was what tipped me back over the edge to a shed in my new house. The foxes don't come in to my garden either, but that's because there's nothing interesting in it at the moment... I am worried! So being able to lock the door and it be a solid unit with a high window just makes me feel happier.

I also think sheds when painted nicely can look so lovely, and more of a feature in your garden.

Pictures of your buns when they arrive please :D:wave:

A shed would be so much better. More space for the buns and better protected from the weather - making cleaning out much nicer in the wet/cold/snow.

I currently have that coop for my bunnies, thankfully it's only a temporary setup until they get their shed (hopefully in the next month or so).

One further point . . .

and you need to be a yoga master to get in to all the corners to clean it out.

This. So much this! I have to practically get head and shoulders into the coop to clean it out properly. :roll: :lol:

Agree re; needing to be a yoga master to clean the coop :)lol:).

Sheds are brilliant. I let mine have 24 hour access to their run. It is double meshed for extra security and has a mesh bottom and roof.

Back