• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Care of 2 week old kits

Elyon

New Kit
Can anybody advise me? I have 5 two week old rabbit kits all seem healthy but think one is a peanut. I have not disturbed them but have moved the fur from them daily to check. I am a little worried now they are bigger as they are in a two storey hutch in the upstairs bedroom compartment, the doe has covered them with a blanket I am presuming to keep them in she seems like a little super mum :) would it be ok to move the kits and doe to a one storey hutch now or would this stress her out? If not would I be ok to move them down stairs? I am just worried in case she turns on them for me handling them or moving them. She is hand tame and comes to me although she doesn't like being picked up:)

experts will be along shortly. I'd say, 'leave them be'.
why are you breeding?
I have never had rabbits and was told I had two females only to find baby bunnies, I removed the male straight away and he has now been neutered and is doing well

There's some info in this thread that may be of use until somebody else comes along that can help with your queries.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies

I'm not sure about moving them so would personally err on the side of caution but is it possible to block off the downstairs so that they're confined to that area? That'll at least stop them falling down once they start exploring.

I can block it off to a one storey but that wouldn't give mum access to her run so she would only have the upstairs to move about in, I could put her in the run but then she wouldn't be able to get to the kits when she wanted as she access from bottom door

I can block it off to a one storey but that wouldn't give mum access to her run so she would only have the upstairs to move about in, I could put her in the run but then she wouldn't be able to get to the kits when she wanted as she access from bottom door

Ok, that makes sense. :D The only other thing I can think of is a wooden panel to block off the run - low enough so that mum can still jump/step over it & down into the run but high enough that the kits can't?

Yes, you could start with a panel across the hutch to keep the babies in but that mum can jump - maybe 8". That will give them a week or so to do some more growing without risk of falling down. Once they get big and coordinated enough to be able to jump the barrier they should be fine to use the ramp and you can remove it.

Once they start coming out of the nest you are fine to handle them, which should be over the next week. They'll also start nibbling on solids, if they haven't already, so make sure there is plenty of hay available near the nest :)

Back