• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur paste dosage

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
:oops: OK, so maybe I am being really thick but this is the first time I have used the panacur paste. We are having an ongoing problem with worms in Rambo so I have decided to treat him for 28 days as just doing the 9 days and him having 2 lots of panomec has just not cleared it (clears it for 2-3 weeks and then they start appearing) so I want to try to break the cycle of the eggs in case they are not clearing.

Rambo weighs about 4.1-4.2kg. The instructions say 1 "graduation" per 2.5kg so 1 graduation would not be enough and 2 graduations would be too much :roll: so I don't know what to give.

Also I am a little confused as to what they consider a graduation to be, the diagram shows that you go over 1 little bump for a graduation and 2 bumps for 2 graduations but there are black lines which run different on each side which are confusing me as between each black line is 1 graduation.

Any advice much appreciated.

I used the bumps as one graduation, but you could use the lines - I thought this bit was really confusing too! The bumps worked for the 9 day treatment for me though :)

Ferg is 1.85kg and I gave him one graduation per day, so overdosed him - but there was no way I could work out how much of a graduation to give. I'm pretty sure you can't overdose on wormers anyway :) but maybe ring your vets if you're not sure! He didn't have any problems with that dose so I didn't worry.

I did the 9 day treatment and it actually worked really well - I've never used any other wormer but within 2-3 days there were no worms in his poo and we haven't had any since (yay!)
I don't know how fussy your bun is but mine HATES the taste of panacur!

I used the bumps as one graduation, but you could use the lines - I thought this bit was really confusing too! The bumps worked for the 9 day treatment for me though :)

Ferg is 1.85kg and I gave him one graduation per day, so overdosed him - but there was no way I could work out how much of a graduation to give. I'm pretty sure you can't overdose on wormers anyway :) but maybe ring your vets if you're not sure! He didn't have any problems with that dose so I didn't worry.

I did the 9 day treatment and it actually worked really well - I've never used any other wormer but within 2-3 days there were no worms in his poo and we haven't had any since (yay!)
I don't know how fussy your bun is but mine HATES the taste of panacur!

Thanks, I have the same that it clears within 2-3 days but then 2-3 weeks after the course has finished they are back so I want to try to break the cycle if possible so the only way I can think of is to do the longer course as I think the egg cycle is either 21 or 28 days.

He is also getting thyme as this is supposed to help get rid of the blighters too. He is absolutely fine in himself, he is not keen on the panacur paste when I gave it him last night on some cabbage. Previously we have had the 10% liquid panacur from the vet and put it in banana and he never even notice :lol:

The syringes of Panacur paste have some small black lines on 2 sides of the plunger. They are offset, so one graduation is between the lines on 2 sides. As I understand it, you would be giving one graduation per 2.5kg, so a 4.1kg bunny would be getting 2 graduations (ie the gap between the lines on one side of the plunger.

l.....l.....l.....l.....l.....l.....l syringe plunger: 1 space= 2 graduations (on one edge)
...l.....l.....l.....l.....l.....l.....l 1 graduation = distance between top marker & bottom marker

I found it so confusing and difficult to judge with any accuracy that I went on to 10% liquid panacur (dog / cat one) dosed at 0.2ml / kg - much easier and more accurate for my little 1.5ish kg bunnies, and cheaper if dosing multiple bunnies over 28 days for EC, etc.

Edit - diagram wasn't showing up properly. Lines should be offset on 2 rows. Hope it's better now.

Last edited:
What Panacur have you been using up to now, if you've already tried a 9 day course? Wasn't really clear from your message (to me, anyway!) I just wondered if maybe you'd been under-dosing.

Sorry I'm not much help with your query, but glad it's not just me that had trouble with that silly plunger thing. Bad design I.m.o., It should have a guard on to stop at your chosen line. when I first did it, I pressed and got nearly 1/2 tube out ! what a waste. Will try liquid next time. Hope your bunny is clear soon :)

We were using the 10% panacur which we got from the vet. I can't remember the ml that we gave, I think it may have been 0.4ml and he weighs about 4.1-4.2kg.

Looking online the 10% only says for cats and dogs.

Shimmer - thank you for the explanation. That makes it a little clearer.

I did call the manufacturers and even the lady there agreed that it was confusing and that they had mentioned this to the people who do these. I said I would email in to back them up as it is not easy to work out if your bunny is not 2.5 or 5kg :roll: It would be much easier in a form where you could syringe it.

The syringes of Panacur paste have some small black lines on 2 sides of the plunger. They are offset, so one graduation is between the lines on 2 sides. As I understand it, you would be giving one graduation per 2.5kg, so a 4.1kg bunny would be getting 2 graduations (ie the gap between the lines on one side of the plunger.

l.....l.....l.....l.....l.....l.....l syringe plunger: 1 space= 2 graduations (on one edge)
...l.....l.....l.....l.....l.....l.....l 1 graduation = distance between top marker & bottom marker

I found it so confusing and difficult to judge with any accuracy that I went on to 10% liquid panacur (dog / cat one) dosed at 0.2ml / kg - much easier and more accurate for my little 1.5ish kg bunnies, and cheaper if dosing multiple bunnies over 28 days for EC, etc.

Edit - diagram wasn't showing up properly. Lines should be offset on 2 rows. Hope it's better now.

Hm, in that case he could have had 0.8ml so maybe it was a low dose. Unfortunately I really can't remember what the actual dose was we originally had.

As I understand it, it's one graduation per 2.5kg of bunny as shimmer already said. I imagine that the dose doesn't have to be too accurate, hence why they've set quite a big range for the dosage.

The datasheet online explains it quite clearly so it might be good if they included that in the packaging; I haven't bought panacur in a long while so I don't know whether they do already. http://www.msd-animal-health.co.uk/binaries/PANACUR_Owner_6pp_tcm80-72089.pdf

As I understand it, it's one graduation per 2.5kg of bunny as shimmer already said. I imagine that the dose doesn't have to be too accurate, hence why they've set quite a big range for the dosage.

The datasheet online explains it quite clearly so it might be good if they included that in the packaging; I haven't bought panacur in a long while so I don't know whether they do already. http://www.msd-animal-health.co.uk/binaries/PANACUR_Owner_6pp_tcm80-72089.pdf

Ah, thank you. The actual leaflet does not show the ranges like that so this does show that he would get 2 graduations.

I only had the datasheet which is not as clear as the leaflet as it says 1 graduation per 2.5kg:

http://www.msd-animal-health.co.uk/products_public/panacur_rabbit/090_product_datasheet.aspx

Yep, the datasheet you linked to is the one I remember getting with my panacur & it's much more confusing, I agree. :thumb: The one I linked to is probably a leaflet, thinking about it, but it'd be good if they could change the datasheet so it's clearer.

I would use 2 graduations.

However another fan of the 10% liquid here, much more accurate a dosage and cheaper if like me you have a lot of buns. I also use 0.2ml per kg.

Just weighed him on the baby scales to make sure of his weight and he is now 4.5kg which is about right for his breed so that makes me more comfortable with giving him the 2 graduations.

Back