• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mimzy-Pip-Fiver all home but still uncomfy U/D post #17

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
I'm just about to clean everyone up, get carriers ready and turn in early (for me) so I can drive the buns back in to their vet for their dentals tomorrow. So I was hoping there might be some vibes going spare that could be sent our way for safe trips to and from and successful surgeries. :)
Mimzy will also be having the fatty lipoma behind his left front leg removed and everyone is getting ear cleans/bum shaves and possibly mite treatments. (Whew! Lots of work ahead!)
I am a little concerned about Fiver's dental because he's had his spurs for a long time apparently with how big they've gotten and I hope that the vet won't find any other problems in his mouth. He's been sucking his water down the wrong way for a little while which can make him cough and also I think he's had maybe two small seizures over the last few years (not certain because they don't last more than a few seconds and I haven't seen but the ends of them) so I am particularly worried about his anesthesia experience.
Pip has also had a seizure before so I am wondering if there's anything I should ask the vet before she takes them back.

For me, well, time to make a trip into Starbucks again so I can make it through the day! :roll: I wish I didn't have such bad insomnia or these early mornings (they have to be there at 8 AM and it's a thirty minute drive in) wouldn't be such a big deal. At least the weather is still decent, if this were a winter trip I'd be even more terrified.

Many thankies in advance! :) xxxx

Last edited:
Crikey, what stress for you and the three Bunnies :cry: I really hope that they all get on well and that the journey there and back is OK. Millions of vibes being sent for all of you :love:

What a stress for you all :(. I really hope it all goes well, and that Starbucks has lots of coffee :lol:. I would be a nervous wreck with 3 buns in at once.

Vibes for a safe journeys and vibes for Mimzy, Pip and Fiver. I hope your day passes without too much stress.

Three buns:-( you must want to pull you hair out with worry. Taking three buns just for vacs was stressful enough.

Sending all your buns millions of vibes for today, hope it goes well for you all.

Thanks everyone :)
Just got back from dropping them off. Was so tired this morning I forgot to bring their water bottles and hay. :( Luckily they have some there for them and they'll be well tended.
Coffee isn't working so I'm going to pass out for a few hours until they let me know when they're done. They're trying a new texting system where they send you a picture of your pet in recovery to your mobile. Should be neat if it works. ;)
I am SO not a morning person! :? I was scared I wouldn't make it there or back. And of course there's kids standing on the highway waiting for the school bus to watch out for...dogs running loose...and a cow moose and her calf crossed in front of me at one point where there's a bad bend in the road. But I survived, thank God. (Whew!)

I'll update again this evening when they're home and settled. Gotta say it's gutting to come home to three empty enclosures. :cry: Keep telling myself they'll be okay.

Thanks again for your vibes everyone. They are much appreciated. :love: xxxx

Sorry I missed this earlier.

Mega vibes for your rabbits, hope all goes smoothly and hope you manage to keep calm whilst waiting for news.:love:

Wow what a drive you had this morning. You deserve a nice long nap. Sending peaceful napping vibes, lots of vibes for the bunnies and vibes for a better drive back and fourth.

U/D Out of surgery

Well I didn't get much rest, I was asleep all of one hour and my vet rang me. All bunnies out of surgery, Pip and Fiver already nibbling (wow!) but Mimzy was still groggy so she said wait at least an hour before trying to go get them. My OH is driving me in as he has things to tend to in town so that's a plus.
No signs of mites on them, good, although she did say 25-50% of the time they miss them anyway. But that should mean there's no longer any hay mites about either which is a huge relief. It took a few days but after I tossed the suspect bales I pretty much stopped getting bitten so...dodged that bullet.

What concerns me is Mimzy's fatty lump was diffuse enough that it was starting to curl up and around his jugular vein. :( So she only removed the larger mass which she said looked encapsulated and I agreed to send it off to histology. If the mass returns on him we'll reasses what to do but I've heard of a bunny here who had fatty lipomas twisting about his intestines and that causing him lots of pain and digestive distress. Is it likely this fatty lipoma will do something similar to Mimzy's jugular vein? I fear the consequences of such a possibilty. :cry:

Anyway we'll probably be off to get them in an hour or so. Again thank you everyone for thinking of us. :love: xxxxxxxx

Only just read your post. Hope every thing went ok and buns are settled back home. Hope you get a good nights sleep and have a lie in ! :love:

U/D as of 8:35 PM AKDT - unhappy bunny mummy :(

This evening I have three very sore bunnies. :(
Mimzy's lipoma removal site is rather nasty looking, but clean. No stitches, I assume they used surgical glue to put him back together. (going to start calling him Frankenbun) He was VERY flat when I picked him up (and in the wrong carrier, poor chap, so kind of cramped) and readily took my noserubs that I gave while waiting for the other two to be brought out. This from a bunny with a strict "no touchie" policy for the last two years. He had a bacterial infection in his down ear so I have 14 days of a dexamethasone/antibiotic/antifungal drop that needs administering twice a day. (Oh he's going to love that! :roll: )
Mimzy and Pip's teeth weren't the big deal as it was Fiver who had the most work needing to be done. My littlest boy is very hunched this evening and I am certain that even at his weight 0.2 mls metacam isn't enough to make him completely comfy but that is all I could eke out of the cover vet. There is a definite disconnect with this lady, and quite a few of the staff, as she does not believe bunnies can be in pain after a tooth grinding and that any sluggishness or hunching I am seeing is due to anesthesia hangover. :roll: My God, I've been doing this for seven years, you would think I know my own bunnies by now, yes?

Mimzy has been bumped up (by his doctor) to 0.5 mls twice a day of dog metacam. I am hoping this will help with his increasing back and hip pain, he obviously is getting more creaky as he ages and I cannot bear to see him sitting like he's perched on a toadstool. :(
Pip has bounced back well. She looks very ruffled (her Divatude apparently did not move the staff to her liking) but for the most part she's eaten a bit and pooped and looks more herself than the other two. Made of strong stuff, M'Lady is. ;)

So it's a long night keeping an eye on Fiver and Mimzy, who have both done only a few poos and both seem doubled up still and Fiver's eyes are a bit wide for this time of night. I am pretty much out of my depth figuring dosages of metacam on my own, Fiver has only recently been having 0.2 mls for the last few weeks to help keep his teeth from bothering him, but he was in less pain with the spurs in my opinion than he is now. I hope he'll rally in the next 24 hours. (His weight, if I'm reading it right was 1800 grams (?) on the 15th of August, Pip's is 2600 grams and Mimzy actually gained weight at 2270 grams! :shock: )

Mimzy, on the other hand, you can see is tiring of these procedures. He is not done yet, but you can tell, if you know him, that this was a hard day for him in many respects. I love him so much, I really got very teary seeing his pen empty all day and thinking that maybe this would be the time he did not come home. But at the same time I feel like we are almost to the point where stuff like this is going to get to be too much for him soon. It tears my heart in pieces to think of it. :cry:
The mass, I think I mentioned, came out pretty clean but for those tendrils reaching up his shoulder towards his jugular vein. That really scares me. Unless there is some significant reason to do so that would ensure more comfort and better movement, I will not be putting him through this again. It is not fair to him. Had the mass not already been impeding his ability to get around well I wouldn't have considered removing it in the first place. No idea how long the lab will take to get back to us on it but I am dreading the results, despite my vet's assurances that this is only a fatty lump.

Can I please beg even more vibes for a comfy night for my babies? I am so exhausted but I doubt I will sleep well knowing they are still hurting and there is really nothing more I have in my bag of tricks to help. :(
Many thanks and hugs back in advance. xxxx

I really hope that all three Bunnies are feeling brighter by now. It may take Mimzy a few more days to get back to normal though. Sending many more vibes for all of them xx

Back