• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit bitten by cat

Lottie123

New Kit
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone would please be able to give me some advice?

My rabbit was attacked by a cat, he sustained one bite on his neck this was august 13th. I immediately rushed him to the vets once I discovered this.

The vet advised me to be aware incase any abcess formed but he didn't think this would be an issue as I managed to get the rabbit straight to the vets. I have however noticed tonight that where one of the puncture wounds is the surface is a little raised. Im not sure whether this is part of the healing or not.

Does anyone have any experience as to how I can tell whether or not an abscess is forming?

Please help if you have any advice.

Thank you

I was given:

Baytril oral solution
Mataram oral susp
Zantac syrup
And hibiscrub

He has finished all of the medication prescribed

Did the Vet clean the wound and prescribe antibiotics ? This is pretty essential in all cases of puncture wounds caused by a cat bite. Cats teeth carry lots of bacteria, so a bite breaking the skin of a Rabbit is effectively 'injecting' bacteria into the Rabbit.Without appropriate treatment an abscess is very likely to form and sometimes more serious complications can arise including septicaemia(blood poisoning).

It is impossible to say if your Rabbit does now have an abscess as we cant see the wound. The best thing to do is to get the Vet to take another look.

Yeah, he shaved where the wound was and cleaned him up. Think I'm going to try and get an appointment tomorrow was just looking for some advice if any one has a similar situation as vets aren't open until tomorrow morning now :)

If you are worried it's always best to have a vet visit. I have no had experience with abscesses in bunnies but an infected wound would be pretty obvious. Does the wound feel "hot" to the touch or look red ad inflamed? Hopefully the raised bit you are seeing is just from the wound healing.

Good luck at the vets. :)

It's not any warmer than the rest of his body and it's the same colour. The only difference I have noticed is that it is now raised. He doesn't mind me touching or cleaning the puncture. I'm just not sure what I am looking out for with an abscess

Thank you for your help :)

It would be really tough to say from a description so getting it checked by the vet is a good idea. Signs that would worry me would be redness around the wound, a lump, discharge, the bunny worrying at the wound etc. if the skins just a little thickened it may just be part of the healing process/scaring. Rabbit scabs can look a bit weird even when they are healing well so hopefully nothing to worry about, but worth getting checked out in case it is an infection as treating it early will be easier.

Btw, well done for getting him to the vet quick for treatment after it happened, cat bites can be nasty so I expect if you hadn't it definitely would have got infected!

Sorry to hear your rabbit was attacked. Well done for getting him to the vet so quickly :thumb:

I would take him back for another check up. There could have been air caught under the skin which will cause problems if not seen to.

Whatever it is, a visit would either help him, or put your mind at rest.

Good luck, and vibes to your little one.

Hello thank you everyone!!

Vets could only for him in today, since yesterday it has doubled in size and gone red since I first posted :( it was an abscess!

I have a bald rabbit again and more antibiotics for him and another check up in a couple of days, fingers crossed he's on the mend this time :)

Aaww shame about the abscess, but great you got it looked at sooner rather than later.

Hopefully a full recovery for your bunny :wave:

Back