• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Controversial Question....

dumblepaws

Mama Doe
So - i have no intention of ever breeding I promise, and my neutered brother and sister bunnies would struggle to become parents anyway and I'm not allowed any more and don't have the time to properly look after any more

But i like science and would be interested to learn more about rabbit genetics - like what happens when you mix different colours or different breeds or which recessive genes can cause problems - stuff like the white bit on some bunnies' noses meaning they have the REW(? is that right?) gene - and the problems that different breeds have and issues with mating close relatives, and whether if you breed a crinkly eared bun with a straight eared one which takes precedence and same with uppy/loppy ears, and which colours are dominant etc

Is there somewhere i can find out more? Like a good book, or internet site or anything?

I am really struggling with genetics !! I keep reading the same thing over and over again but it just wont sink in :oops:

I don't think that's a controversial question at all. A controversial activity maybe, but we'd all benefit from knowing more about genetics, I expect.

DemiS wrote some very long and informative posts on this a few years ago and copied them into another thread maybe earlier this year. I can have a look when I get home as on phone currently.

Can't help you with bunnies, but I know quite a bit about royal python morphs from my snake breeding days :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just had a look but can't find those posts from DemiS. I bet she could put her hand on them if you PM her though.

Back