View Full Version : Smudge - U/D not tooth root abcess!.. 🐰

24-08-2014, 07:18 PM

Am sitting in energency vets. Smudge has a huge lump on his lower jaw, unsure if tumour or abscess but his face is distorted and he has had a runny bum.

I had managed to give him metacam prior to putting him in carrier but he has at least shown an interest in grass to lick it anyway.

Wish him luck please folks. His wee face looks awful and he looks so miserable.

Fee xx

Roly Poly
24-08-2014, 07:25 PM
Lots of gentle vibes for Smudge xxx

24-08-2014, 07:27 PM
Poor lad :cry: It sounds as though it may be a tooth root abscess

Sending lots of vibes for him xx

24-08-2014, 07:36 PM
Poor Smudge :( sending mega vibes for him xxx

Captain Helen
24-08-2014, 07:40 PM
Hope it's something easy to treat. Sending lots of vibes for Smudge xx

24-08-2014, 07:43 PM
poor Smudge :( sending vibes x

24-08-2014, 07:45 PM
Poor Smudge! Sending vibes that he will come through this successfully. xx

24-08-2014, 07:45 PM
Sending mega vibes for Smudge xx

24-08-2014, 07:57 PM
Poor darling :( many healing vibes on the way for Smudge. xxxxxxx

24-08-2014, 08:17 PM
Poor Smudge :(

Thinking of you and your little lad xxx

24-08-2014, 09:23 PM
Sending mega vibes for Smudge xxxxxx

24-08-2014, 09:40 PM
Oh no :( Lots of vibes from one Smudge to another!

24-08-2014, 09:41 PM
Just back, I have left him at vet school for xrays and exploratory .:cry:

They are really unsure but they suspect one of the following, a root abcess, a soft tissue injury, a blocked salivary gland or the unthinkable....,tumour. His teeth were checked as best they could without knocking him out and no spurs were evident. He is in every other way looking good...

They did agree it was huge, but I felt terrible, I sit and play with them daily and check their bums but I simply didnt see this, how in gods name could I have missed a growth so huge? I reckon it mist have come up quickly as it is difficult to miss..

They are pumping him full of antibiotics and will investigate tonight, he's on metacam, emeprid and anti biotics. Willow is with him thankfully. They will let me know tomorrow what they suspect.

I feel sick with worry,

Thanks for the vibes folks.. I would still appreciate loads for my boy as he may have to undergo surgery..
Love Fee xxx

24-08-2014, 09:42 PM
Deleted... I searched the forum for answer.... oMG.. I am so worried now...

24-08-2014, 09:58 PM

The poor wee thing.

Hoping for positive news tomorrow. :(

24-08-2014, 10:05 PM
Vibes for smudge. Try not to unnecessarily worry yourself......the internet is possibly the worst invention at times lol

24-08-2014, 10:16 PM
Thanks folks...

Easier said than done with the internet... i know, its a nightmare but i cant help myself just now...
While i was waiting in the vet school, 2 dogs were PTS..

The mind is running riot!

Fee xxx

24-08-2014, 10:51 PM
lots of vibes for smudge.

24-08-2014, 11:01 PM
Sorry to read about Smudge, nothing I can say will help so I am just going to send loads of vibes and tons of hugs toy you. Xx

24-08-2014, 11:22 PM
Lots of vibes for Smudge xx

24-08-2014, 11:27 PM
Oh no my wee gorgeous man. I hope he is ok. If he needs any intensive care, too much for you with work, you know he can come here for it xxxxx

24-08-2014, 11:27 PM
Sending lots of vibes for Smudge, get better soon x

24-08-2014, 11:35 PM
:( hope smudge starts to get better soon

24-08-2014, 11:35 PM
Thank you all

Oh Ali, I can hardly believe he is poorly . My beautiful boy ..

Thanks for your wonderful offer. Keep your fingers crossed for my boy ,

Fee x

24-08-2014, 11:38 PM
Thank you all

Oh Ali, I can hardly believe he is poorly . My beautiful boy ..

Thanks for your wonderful offer. Keep your fingers crossed for my boy ,

Fee x

He is in a really good place. Our vet uses the vet school now as well for out of hours care and I am really pleased. The old place was terrible with rabbits.

24-08-2014, 11:40 PM
sending lots of vibes for smudge x

24-08-2014, 11:43 PM


susie bun
24-08-2014, 11:44 PM
Sorry I'm so late to this thread, but adding lots of vibes for Smudge and thinking of you too. xxx

bunny babe
24-08-2014, 11:54 PM
Sending Smudge some vibes x

25-08-2014, 12:23 AM
Poor Smudge and poor you. :( Keeping you my thoughts and prayers for the best outcome. xxxxxxx

25-08-2014, 12:25 AM
Thanks x

Theres been no word yet. They did say they would contact me tonight. Still waiting. :cry:

25-08-2014, 01:21 AM
Sending lots of get well vibes for dear Smudge, hope all goes well.

25-08-2014, 08:57 AM
They phoned during the night. Smudge had his xray and his teeth roots look perfect. No mass visible or anything suspect. Which is a relief!!!!

They did say that they didnt, at this stage, want to do anything surgically as he was lively enough and eating and pooing. They are asking me to pick him up today with a weeks worth of meds and go to our own vets to see if abx make any difference to abcess size.

Is there anything i should be insisting on or asking? I am obviously still concerned that he might still go under the knife but I want to avoid this at all costs.

Advice welcome and Thanks for vibes

Fee x

25-08-2014, 09:02 AM
Aww thinking of you and Smudge and hoping for the best

25-08-2014, 09:11 AM
I missed all this, sending lots of vibes xx

25-08-2014, 09:25 AM
I missed this yesterday. So glad that Smudge is eating and pooing ok. I don't know if a ct scan would show anything up better than an xray, but I think since he is eating and pooing, I would see how he goes with the medicine first.

Sending loads of vibes for the little guy, and hugs for you xx

25-08-2014, 09:26 AM
sorry, i don't have any advice. but sending lots of vibes and cuddles. :love:

Barn Yard Bunnies
25-08-2014, 09:35 AM
Sending millions of vibes for Smudge, why are they so complex. At least it wasn't his teeth.

25-08-2014, 10:26 AM
That sounds hopeful then if his roots look good. I suppose it is now a "wait and see" scenario. I don't have any advice, maybe start a new Thread ?. Hope the abx works and the lump goes away.

25-08-2014, 11:00 AM
Sounds like good news. I hope the access is easily treated. Having him home will be such a relief.

25-08-2014, 11:57 AM
Glad to hear that the preliminary report seems to be good. :) Topping up the vibes that Smudge's medicine will do the trick for him. :love: xxxxxxxx

susie bun
25-08-2014, 03:07 PM
Hope Smudge can make a good recovery. Keeping up vibes for him. xx

25-08-2014, 03:22 PM
That's good news. Hopefully he'll begin to improve. :)

25-08-2014, 03:24 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your beautiful Smudge. Fingers crossed for your little man, that the meds will bring him relief and have him feeling better very soon. Whiskery kisses from Rosie and ((((Hugs)))) to you xx

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

25-08-2014, 04:54 PM
Picked my boy and Willow up. He seems subdued, which doesnt surprise me given his sedation etc. hopefully being home will perk him up.

Vets have confirmed that while they are sending him home with abx, metacam and emeprid, they are not expecting it to significantly decrease and he WILL need an op. I am devastated.

They told me that the mass is very large. What is worrying me is they have said he will require to be split from Willow for his recuperation. He is deaf and relies on Willow so how their bond will be affected is a concern

25-08-2014, 05:12 PM
So glad you have them both home. I'm sure they will feel better in familiar surroundings.

How long are they giving the medicines to work? What a stress for you and Smudge.

Sending loads of vibes xx