• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How do u get ur rabbit to take panacur?

pippa

Young Bun
Hey
Can anyone help me! My rabbit is on panacur and metacam! He seems to love the metacam and is no problem taking it! But the panacur is a different all together he hates it how do u give it to ur rabbit!?
Pippa

:wave: I wrap the panacur on a basil leaf. It's always scoffed so quickly, I don't think they realise there is anything in it :lol:

I kneel on the floor and hold bun between my legs, then quickly stick the syringe in their mouth!

Treats afterward are a good idea!

If you can get the panacur liquid (rather than the weird syringe thing) then you can soak it onto some pellets very easily

I wish they cld make it taste like the metacam as he loves that! Will take all this on board! Ta muchly

I had this problem with my baby, Peter, metacam he couldn't wait for! But the faces he pulled after the other one pained me to watch (but were slightly funny at the same time). I'd have to hold him and put the syringe in his mouth, he'd usually let me to that because he'd think it was the metacam! Always treated him with some bunny chocolates afterwards and a lot of cuddles and he was happy as ever! :lol:

I had the liquid panacur and made a hole in a banana and put the "top" back on. Never hit the sides of their ickle mouths ;)

I use the 10% liquid panacur in a 1ml syringe. Have them both ready (assuming timing etc is right) and give the panacur immediately before the metacam - straight into the mouth behind the front teeth. None of mine ever liked panacur but metacam is universally popular here.

For multiple rabbits on just panacur, I got the syringes lined up on a paper plate. You can write on the plate if the doses are different for different rabbits, or put a marker pen different coloured dot on the plunger.

Leaves didn't work with mine he sniffed it out straight away!
I put it in a raspberry which worked for a few days, then he couldn't cope so I drilled a hole into a chunk of apple with a screwdriver and injected/squirted the panacur into the hole - that worked brilliantly :)

Just wanna say a massive thanks to all ur replys! I have give Marlow his panacur wrapped in parsley to today! Worked a treat! :D

One of my bunnies hates the syringe so much he bit a hole in it so I held a teaspoon out with it on and he lapped it all up! :) the other bun is a fussy eater but copes quite well with a syringe. Might try the parsley leaves next time though!

I kneel on the floor and hold bun between my legs, then quickly stick the syringe in their mouth!

Treats afterward are a good idea!

If you can get the panacur liquid (rather than the weird syringe thing) then you can soak it onto some pellets very easily

I do this, in the side of the mouth.

Back