• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Scratching

GabyEmilyB

Warren Scout
My little darling has been scratching the back of his neck the last 2 days. I flea treated him but today a bald patch has appeared and there is a very slight scratch. It looks like it's itchy and he's itched a little too hard bless him. He's absolutely fine in himself and he's eating, pooing, drinking absolutely fine. It's not a constant scratch, just every couple of hours I catch him but the fur has thinned in just that spot! It's not like he's scratching everywhere, just the back of his neck. I phoned the vet and explained and they said if he's eating, popping and drinking normally then it's not urgent.... So I'm booked in Tuesday as I'm travelling Monday....

Should I be demanding he is seen or shall I go with that? I'm a worry bunny mummy lol

Did you treat him for fleas because you have seen some on him or because you assumed it was fleas. Rabbits don't often get fleas unless they live with a cat or dog which has them so it could be he has mites. Is there any flakiness at the back of his neck, if so he will need to see the Vet who will give him an injection of Ivermectin. He will need 3 injections I think over 3 weeks.

Did you treat him for fleas because you have seen some on him or because you assumed it was fleas. Rabbits don't often get fleas unless they live with a cat or dog which has them so it could be he has mites. Is there any flakiness at the back of his neck, if so he will need to see the Vet who will give him an injection of Ivermectin. He will need 3 injections I think over 3 weeks.

I saw A flea in him and we have cats. He had been scratching, I saw one so thought it was fleas but he's still scratching! It's isolated to his ears and back of neck and that's it. Checked his body and no flakiness or dandruff like skin....which is why I though ear mites....but I do t know where he would have got them when he is indoors?!

Can you get him checked out tomorrow so you know what he has got.

Funny you should say that because I've just booked in with the vet to be on the safe side and put my mind at rest lol this is what it looks like....

image.jpg

image.jpg

He had them 3 weeks ago....could that be causing the baldness?

He is very bald there isn't he?

I have known of vaccine reactions that take that long to come out/ clear up .... The vet should easily be able to spot exactly what that is and if it's a reaction to his vax.

Good luck and keep us posted :wave:

It did for my bunny, he over groomed and made the injection site very sore 10 days after the vaccinations. I took him to the vets but turned out he didn't need any treatment and has nearly completely healed 2 weeks on. The irritation only lasted for less than 24 hours.
6f566240ebdea9a3ca5264adeba4e0fc.jpg

It did for my bunny, he over groomed and made the injection site very sore 10 days after the vaccinations. I took him to the vets but turned out he didn't need any treatment and has nearly completely healed 2 weeks on. The irritation only lasted for less than 24 hours.
6f566240ebdea9a3ca5264adeba4e0fc.jpg

Ouch :shock: Looks quite sore x

Been to vets and they suggested bathing with salt water. Ears and skin clear, so not mites and he's been treated for fleas so not that. I said about his vaccinations and the vet said that she doesn't see it very often but there is no obvious reason for it. He's fine in himself so they aren't worried :) thanks for all the advice :)

Been to vets and they suggested bathing with salt water. Ears and skin clear, so not mites and he's been treated for fleas so not that. I said about his vaccinations and the vet said that she doesn't see it very often but there is no obvious reason for it. He's fine in himself so they aren't worried :) thanks for all the advice :)

:thumb:

Back