• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

5 inch Hole-saw Cutter for Runaround - U/D Holes have been cut post #9

A question for the hutch builders on the forum.

I originally attached my Runaround doors/pipes to one of the doors of my Ryedale hutch on the mesh. This makes it awkward for feeding, cleaning, covering up the hutch in winter, etc, so I want to attach my Runaround pipes permanently through the side of my hutch instead.

Obviously, if I want to make a good job of this, rather than butchering my hutch, I have looked on ebay for Hole-saw cutters, as I need to cut a 5 inch hole in the side.

I've found this one, it's an 8pc kit with the 127mm cutter. It's seems relatively cheap for a 2 hole job but I would like to be able to keep incase I need to do something similar later. Is this okay to cut through 20-25mm wood.

Or there is a bigger kit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/31-pc-Universal-Drill-Set-Hole-Saw-Drywall-Wood-Plaster-Electrician-Plumber/141313903563

Also do they just fit into the standard chuck on power drills. My dad has a standard JCB cordless drill.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
I don't see why it won't work but it will give you a good kickback, so make sure you hold it with two hands etc.
Just make sure you follow their template.

Ideally a Jigsaw is the saw you need for it.

I don't see why it won't work but it will give you a good kickback, so make sure you hold it with two hands etc.
Just make sure you follow their template.

Ideally a Jigsaw is the saw you need for it.

Hi Daniel, Thanks for your reply.

My dad originally told me to drill holes all around and use a small hacksaw blade to remove then rest. But I didn't want to make a mess of my hutch so thought something like this would be better.

He does have one of those Black & Decker Quattro jigsaws, will that be okay. Would you start it by drill a hole?

Hi Daniel, Thanks for your reply.

My dad originally told me to drill holes all around and use a small hacksaw blade to remove then rest. But I didn't want to make a mess of my hutch so thought something like this would be better.

He does have one of those Black & Decker Quattro jigsaws, will that be okay. Would you start it by drill a hole?
:wave:
As long as the blade will cut all the way though the timber your cutting then yes it be fine.
Mark the template where you want to cut it, then drill holes in each corner, i think it be 8 holes and then just cut in a straight line.
The drill bit needs to be bigger than the blade and as long as you keep to the template should be fine.

If you are using the Runnaround door to connect the pipe to then you just cut a square hole to the template and fit the door in the usual way as on mesh no need for a round hole too fiddly ;)

This would be for their single or double door as you still need fixing holes to secure the door to the hutch. I have three double doors and the pipe clamp and used a square hole for all :D

A question for the hutch builders on the forum.

I originally attached my Runaround doors/pipes to one of the doors of my Ryedale hutch on the mesh. This makes it awkward for feeding, cleaning, covering up the hutch in winter, etc, so I want to attach my Runaround pipes permanently through the side of my hutch instead.

Obviously, if I want to make a good job of this, rather than butchering my hutch, I have looked on ebay for Hole-saw cutters, as I need to cut a 5 inch hole in the side.

I've found this one, it's an 8pc kit with the 127mm cutter. It's seems relatively cheap for a 2 hole job but I would like to be able to keep incase I need to do something similar later. Is this okay to cut through 20-25mm wood.

Or there is a bigger kit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/31-pc-Universal-Drill-Set-Hole-Saw-Drywall-Wood-Plaster-Electrician-Plumber/141313903563

Also do they just fit into the standard chuck on power drills. My dad has a standard JCB cordless drill.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

A hole saw is fine but as Daniel said make sure you have a tight hold on it and go slow with a variable drill to start it off. B&Q now sell semi pro hole saws unto 6" but remember you will also need to buy an arbor to fix the how saw to. I would not buy the version in your link.
If you dont feel confident with this you could also cut a square hole with a jigsaw as mentioned above.

Hi guys thanks for your advice, it was really appreciated.

I spent all day yesterday doing my hutch improvements and I am really pleased how it has turned out. I should have done this when I first got my hutch but I think I was a bit scared of ruining it.

As Daniel recommended, I used a jig saw in the end. My hole wasn't exactly round as I did go off a bit but once the Runaround door was assembled it was hidden.

It looks so much better now and I like the hutch layout so much better. We moved their hay-racks from the back to the side, put their water/food bowls to the back. Hershel has his day bed back under his hay and George and Harry will get the same but I am using their spare litter tray for Maggie at the moment.
The bunnies got very excited when they came run out up the pipes, after been stuck in the run most of the day, to see they had been changed about. :thumb:

I also have to put new mesh of the end 2 doors, which was where the Runaround were previously attached, and we had to patch the tarpaulin up. I love that we can now fully cover the hutch up with the tarpaulin and that there is no slit up the front to allow for the pipes.

George testing out the new position.
P1060803.jpg

Harry thinking about trying it out ~ as she has poor sight she is always a bit cautious.
P1060805.jpg

Hershel more bothered about head rubs.
P1060812.jpg

Hutch showing the runaround attached at the side.
P1060821.jpg

Hutch all covered up
P1060827.jpg

Back