• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need some vibes please

Springfield24

Alpha Buck
Lola ate both of her meals yesterday but around 11pm it became apparent she was unwell. She wouldn't eat any individual nuggets/treats which were offered to her and seemed generally down in the dumps.

I spent the night monitoring her and she stopped drinking, eating hay and using the toilet. She also couldn't find a comfortable place to lie, became cold and generally not a very happy bunny.

Through the night I kept a close eye on her and kept her as warm as I could either through the heating being on, me rubbing her fur or using a blanket.

She's been to the vets this morning who said her teeth look fine but her gut does feel a little empty. He's given her metacam and a gut stimulant with vit B (can't remember the name of it).

She's since drank quite a bit of water and does look a bit more comfortable but is still getting up and finding better places to lie so obviously not 100%.
She has still refused food and hasn't toiletted yet.

Just wondering what now? How long will it be before she eats? When Springfield had the same issues in March he was seen on the evening around 9pm and ate the next morning.

Hate seeing her like this. Feel totally helpless.

Awww, poor Lola. I hope she feels more like it soon. I've only had my bunnies a little while and so don't have any experience of them being poorly yet (thankfully) but at least you're doing the right thing keeping a close eye on her and the vet has already seen her. Good luck. xx

Thank you. I can't decide what to do next whether to keep trying syringe feeding or take back to the vets.

I feel like I'm missing a trick on how best to look after her

I think I would ring the vet and ask them. They should be happy to advise you over the phone

Hope she picks up soon

I'm lucky enough that they're 7 doors away that I can pop up. She's really perked up. Had about 7nugget biscuits and tiny amount of kale. She's also drank and had a wee. She's also tearing cardboard up and generally brighter. Her tummy is gurgling very loudly which is total opposite to no noise from before but I'm hoping it is a good sign of movement.

She's not out of the woods yet but better than lying around unable to get comfy.

Fingers crossed!

UD - she's pooped! She's eaten too. I think she may well be better! I'm having an early night then seeing as I was awake most of last night with her!

Back