PDA

View Full Version : Sad news re Jackaroonie's Flopsy/ UD Keeping him going

JemimaH
21-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Jack does not feel like he can post this, so I am doing it for him.

Lovely, gorgeous Flopsy has been deteriorating for a while now. He has been losing weight, mobility and his 'spark'. It has become clear in the regular updates that I get, Flopsy is a very poorly little man. Yesterday something went wrong and Jack found Flopsy lying on the floor of his run, unable to get up. That was very distressing for Jack and, I think, the final straw. Despite everyone's - Jack, John Chitty and his team - best efforts, it has become clear nothing more can be done. Jack has made the incredibly brave and selfless decision to bid farewell to his fond, furry friend.

On Saturday Flopsy will drift off into his forever sleep.

Jack has agonised over this decision and it has been incredibly, incredibly hard for him. I'm sure he would appreciate both peaceful vibes and virtual hugs.

Flopsy in June 2013:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t34.0-12/10626521_806891679355138_4624636285743421631_n.jpg ?oh=9d5024cd815fd7611c0f1ce8aba8e9dc&oe=53F83972&__gda__=1408786957_760260106ef166c99d22d2b9616aa95 f

TD86
21-08-2014, 09:10 PM
I'm so sorry Jack :cry: Sending you lots of gentle (((((((((((hugs))))))))))))) xx

biscandmatt1
21-08-2014, 09:12 PM
so sorry to hear this :( sending peaceful passing vibes for flopsy, and massive hugs for jack. xxx

Oompa-Loompa
21-08-2014, 09:13 PM
Oh no, I'm so sorry :( Sending vibes xxx

Hesperus
21-08-2014, 09:15 PM
So sorry Jack, Flopsy has had a lovely life with you though.

Hugs and vibes to you both x

Charlotte_Jordanna
21-08-2014, 09:16 PM
I'm so sorry Jack :( Flopsy has always been one of my favourite RU bunnies. Thinking of you and Flopsy and hoping it's peaceful. xx

Jackaroonie
21-08-2014, 09:21 PM
Thanks Jemima for posting for me.

I don't think I can do it - I just don't want to let go. His collapse yesterday really shook me up. He's been hanging on for at least 4/5 weeks now. We've run out of options. I hate having to make this decision. What if he's not ready?

:cry:

esupi
21-08-2014, 09:22 PM
I've not had to face this yet so have no advice, but I think you're very brave Jack and will be thinking of you and Flopsy.

tashp90
21-08-2014, 09:22 PM
So sorry Jack :cry: thinking of you. It's clear how dedicate you are, and have been to Flopsy. He is so lucky that he's had you caring for him, and fighting with him.

Barn Yard Bunnies
21-08-2014, 09:28 PM
I am so sorry Jack. You are doing the best for Flopsys welfare.

MimzMum
21-08-2014, 09:29 PM
Oh Jack, I'm so very sorry. :cry: Please know if you read this that my heartfelt prayers and thoughts are with you and Flopsy. You have both fought this so bravely. I know this is such a hard decision. You are showing a very mature and loving heart by making it, even if it does not feel like it right now.
Bless you and Flopsy. Sending vibes for peace and comfort to you. ((((((((Massive hugs))))))) xxxxxxx

JemimaH thank you so much for letting us know. You are very kind to do this for Jack. xxxx

ETA: I just saw your post while I was previewing mine, Jack. I think between you and your vet you'll be able to know if it is time. And Flopsy will tell you. It's always something we equviocate endlessly, this choice. That you are questioning it is something we all do. Your heart and your head are doing battle right now. Ultimately whatever is best for Flopsy will be the right decision.
Thinking of you. ((((((((Hugs)))))))) xxxx

Sarah1989
21-08-2014, 09:34 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this, I'm actually in tears here for you. It's so heart breaking having to make that decision, but it's our final act of kindness to our beloved companions. And if you know it's going to happen, you can make his last day very special & treasure every second. Sending you hugs & nose rubs for Flopsy xxx I'll be thinking of you on Saturday xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fee
21-08-2014, 10:13 PM
:cry:.. Oh no, what sad news... i'm sorry to hear this Jack.. You know Flopsy better than anyone and making that decision is the hardest of all..you would not have to make it unless you knew deep down it was kindest for Flopsy

He has had an amazing life with you..

Thinking of you both when that time comes... Much love
Fee xxx

Rabcat
21-08-2014, 10:18 PM
So, so sorry Jack :(

Sending hugs for you and vibes for your special little Flopsy bun xxxxxxx

Lea-Anne
21-08-2014, 10:19 PM
I can only echo what others have said. From day one you have done everything with thoughts for his welfare first. It is true it is the kindest decision you can make when you know his quality of life is deteriorating. I will be thinking of you and Flopsy on Saturday.

susie bun
21-08-2014, 10:21 PM
Sorry to see this sad news. Thinking of you and Flopsy. xx

Clare-uk
21-08-2014, 10:23 PM
I'm so sorry you are in this situation, it's the hardest part of caring for pet.
Sending lots of peaceful vibes for both you & your gorgeous Flopsy xx

ziggyandme
21-08-2014, 10:28 PM
Sending massive cuddles xx

Jackaroonie
21-08-2014, 10:31 PM
Thank you everyone so much.

I don't think I can do it, I've just had a cry. The thought of Flopsy not being around is heartbreaking. He's fought so hard and continues to carry on. Yes he's very much drugged up but he's still living. I don't think I could live with myself for making the decision if Flopsy isn't ready. He can't tell me that he's had enough and that he wants his life ended.

Seeing him sat and grooming Lily just breaks my heart. They have such a strong bond and have been together the past 3 years. Lily has never been alone and she would be lost without him :( despite Flopsy being so poorly - he still grooms Lily and shows affection.

I'm torn. I don't know what to do for the best. For him. For me. For Lily. He's been in my life for 7 and half years since I was 10 years old. He's 7 years & 8 months old and I'm 17. For the past two and half years I've been medicating him twice daily, it's become my life. I couldn't imagine not having a rabbit to medicate. The only reason I actually get up is because of Flopsy. Surely there's something more that can be done. There must be :(

I can't do this, I really can't. I know it's probably for the best but I don't know if it's what my Flopsy wants.

aaammmyyy
21-08-2014, 10:53 PM
So sorry, gentle nose rubs and hugs coming your way for whatever decision you choose Xxx

Captain Helen
21-08-2014, 11:02 PM
I'm so sorry :cry: Thinking of you xx

TD86
22-08-2014, 12:29 AM
Thank you everyone so much.

I don't think I can do it, I've just had a cry. The thought of Flopsy not being around is heartbreaking. He's fought so hard and continues to carry on. Yes he's very much drugged up but he's still living. I don't think I could live with myself for making the decision if Flopsy isn't ready. He can't tell me that he's had enough and that he wants his life ended.

Seeing him sat and grooming Lily just breaks my heart. They have such a strong bond and have been together the past 3 years. Lily has never been alone and she would be lost without him :( despite Flopsy being so poorly - he still grooms Lily and shows affection.

I'm torn. I don't know what to do for the best. For him. For me. For Lily. He's been in my life for 7 and half years since I was 10 years old. He's 7 years & 8 months old and I'm 17. For the past two and half years I've been medicating him twice daily, it's become my life. I couldn't imagine not having a rabbit to medicate. The only reason I actually get up is because of Flopsy. Surely there's something more that can be done. There must be :(

I can't do this, I really can't. I know it's probably for the best but I don't know if it's what my Flopsy wants.

I've been through something similar very recently and I couldn't make the decision either at the vets (I didn't know what DM wanted either). We decided that we knew she was going so we would bring her home for the weekend, pumped her full of painkillers and thankfully she passed peacefully with her sister. While she was here, she had a very happy life, although she did stop grooming her sister in the last week. Only you know what's best and you can only make a decision based on what you know and what you think is best for Flopsy, however hard that may be, but you cannot let her suffer in pain which will be a factor in your decision making :cry: I hope all goes well Jack xx

Alicia
22-08-2014, 12:39 AM
I'm so sorry Jack :( Thinking of you and Flopsy xxx

Vegan_Bunny
22-08-2014, 12:43 AM
Jack, I'm so sorry. :cry:

I felt the same way when the day came to make a decision about my beloved Rosie dog. :cry: She was obviously suffering but still going about business of pottering around the house and bouncing on her toys. In the end I realised that this was no life for her, she was in pain and she was just "going through the motions" rather than actually enjoying life and enjoying the things she was doing.
You don't want him to suffer any more and I know you feel he is "ok" now but you know he's not and you know that deep down you are making the right decision. Don't forget that many of us know exactly how you feel. Rosie was in my like for 16 and a half years. She came into my like when I was 8 and left me when I was 25, I know how torn you feel, I know how much doubt there is in your heart, but really think about it and you will know it's the right decision. The last thing you want is to find him collapsed again..it's distressing for you and distressing for him. I'm not trying to convince you to let him go..I'm merely trying to make you see how you should look at things..instead of focusing on losing him, focus on the fact that you are setting him free of his failing body.

Funnily enough I dreamt about your buns last night for the first time ever, before I had even seen this thread or known anything about Flopsy and I woke up thinking about them, especially Pickle and Flopsy. How strange.

Babsie
22-08-2014, 12:57 AM
I'm so sorry. Heartbreaking for you. :(

ripminnie
22-08-2014, 09:12 AM
Jack my eyes filled with tears for you when i read this :cry: honestly, you will know if it's time. When there is no spark left. Sending massive hugs and nose rubs for Flopsy xx

luna
22-08-2014, 09:36 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this news :(

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Rhianna
22-08-2014, 09:36 AM
I've had to make this decision for an elderly dog and a number of cats, bunnies and guinea-pigs over the years and it is heartbreaking.

If I have a vet I trust I ask them what they would do if the pet were theirs. If they say they would PTS and I have been wavering, I have always accepted their opinion. If my fur baby has still wanted to fight, then I have gone with my own instincts. You know Flopsy - listen to what he is telling you.

Thinking of you xxxx

DomaNikki
22-08-2014, 09:37 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this news! Sending big hugs and thinking of you and Flopsy x

*lily*
22-08-2014, 09:51 AM
So very sorry :cry: xxx

Roly Poly
22-08-2014, 09:59 AM
I'm so so sorry :cry: thinking of you and sending lots of gentle hugs x

weedug
22-08-2014, 10:50 AM
I'm so sorry :cry:

Amy104
22-08-2014, 11:01 AM
Huge Hugs for you Jack.

This is the hardest decision you ever have to make as a pet owner, but it also shows your strength as you put them first.

Although sad I find this poem very comforting so hope it can help you in some way:

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Fee
22-08-2014, 01:20 PM
:cry:... Thats beautiful...

Gemmapookie
22-08-2014, 01:21 PM
Oh Jack, I'm so sorry :cry::cry::cry:

Redhelen
22-08-2014, 01:36 PM
Jack I am so very sorry you are faced with this decision. Its the absolute worst part of loving a bun :(

I think you need to have a conversation with your vet about the options and make your decision, with your vet's advise.

I always think, better a week too early than a day too late.

Great big massive hug for you

Rhianna
22-08-2014, 01:46 PM
Huge Hugs for you Jack.

This is the hardest decision you ever have to make as a pet owner, but it also shows your strength as you put them first.

Although sad I find this poem very comforting so hope it can help you in some way:

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

I really shouldn't have read this at work. In tears now:cry:

Jackaroonie
22-08-2014, 05:38 PM
Thanks everyone - I've read all of your replies. I really appreciate them :love:

Amy104, that poem is beautiful!

Well I really am even more torn at what to do. Flopsy has gained 90g in the past 4 days (I weigh him every 4 days) he's currently sat in the hay munching on dandelions. He's such a brave boy. He may not eat a great deal anymore but he is still eating something. Although he does eat with one eye shut squinting as he suffers with elongated tooth roots :(

I think tomorrow we will have to discuss what to do next. If my vet thinks that it may be time for him to go - then that's what we will do. We run out of 2 of Flopsy's drugs tomorrow, I really don't know whether to ring up and get another weeks worth put up. We used to order online but now it's not worth doing so. Flopsy is so drugged up that I don't think he is able to pass away on his own. All I want is for him to drift off at home in a bed of hay.

He's already on 0.8ml metacam every 12 hours , 1/2 tramadaol capsule (x2 daily), 1/2 vetmedin (x2 daily) & 1/2 fortekor tablet (once daily). Yet despite all of this there's times where he appears to be in a bit of discomfort/ pain :(

I hate this I really do. He's so special to me.

We are not planning on getting another rabbit so I'm worried that Lily won't bond with Pickle or Pixie. I also have no one to bond them for me. I can't cope with bonding right now. We need Flopsy to be okay :(

happybun
22-08-2014, 05:48 PM
this is so difficult for you. I'm sorry. thinking of you and flopsy.

Mrsmcarey
22-08-2014, 05:51 PM
Sorry to hear that flopsy is struggling, sending hugs and nose rubs to you both :love:

I will let you sort out who gets what ;)

If the worst has to,happen vibes that Lily will bond well with pickle and pixie

olices
22-08-2014, 07:37 PM
So sorry to hear you are having such an awful time, thinking of you and Flopsy. Whatever you decide Flopsy knows you are doing the best you can for that special little bunny x

cpayne
22-08-2014, 07:37 PM
So sorry to hear about flopsy. What a great example of a pet owner you are. Thinking of you tomorrow. Im sure you'll make the best decision for flopsy whatever that will be

Vegan_Bunny
22-08-2014, 08:01 PM
I know you'll do the best thing you can. See how he goes and talk to your vet. We wanted Rosie to go to sleep one day and never wake up but she needed to be helped along. We still did it at home, though, which was nice.

Thinking of you and Flopsy tomorrow, Jack. Let us know what you decide.

Den
22-08-2014, 08:47 PM
What a sad situation you find yourself in. I'm so sorry.

I'm sure you will know what is the right decision for Flopsy tomorrow. My thoughts are with you.

ripminnie
22-08-2014, 09:07 PM
Thinking of you Jack. I know that whatever you decide will be the right thing, you are an awesome bunny owner and amazing example. Sending more vibes and hugs your way xxx

Clare-uk
22-08-2014, 10:43 PM
I'm really truly sorry you are facing this decision, it is by far the hardest part of loving a pet. It never gets any easier & there is always a part of you hoping to see some glimmer that they'll be ok. Sometimes that miracle happens by often it doesn't.

Making to choice to end the pain is the most selfless thing to do. In your heart you will know if the time is right or if Flopsy is still trying to fight. Speak to your vet and let them guide you, that's only guide as its your decision. I hope you are ok, big hugs for tomorrow & post as we do understand the hurt xx

MimzMum
23-08-2014, 07:04 AM
Thinking of you and Flopsy today, Jack, and sending supportive hugs your way. Praying for peace for you both. xxxxxxxx

Clare-uk
23-08-2014, 10:59 AM
Thinking of you & Flopsy today xx

Fee
23-08-2014, 12:43 PM
Hi Jack, I see your update... I hope Flopsy remains comfortable and painfree and you feel he is more ready when the time comes...

Hugs to you and noserubs for Fopsy..

Fee xxx

Jackaroonie
23-08-2014, 01:32 PM
Update:

We came to the decision with my vet that it would be a shame to give up now - whilst Flopsy remains to have a lot of fight left in him. So we've decided to keep him going a little longer. Flopsy was due his combined jab - we had no choice but to vaccinate him. Obviously I'm aware of the risks it can have on rabbits who are very poorly. So I am quite worried how he's going to be. Hopefully he'll be fine. Otherwise I wouldn't forgive myself if anything happened.

ripminnie
23-08-2014, 07:28 PM
I'm glad he's still with you, and i really hope his vaccination doesn't affect him in any way. Sending tons of vibes for him x

Roly Poly
23-08-2014, 09:00 PM
Sendings lots of love and vibes for Flopsy xxx

Clare-uk
23-08-2014, 09:52 PM
Sending mega vibes that Flopsy is fine with his vaccination x

MimzMum
23-08-2014, 10:25 PM
Topping up the vibes for Flopsy. I hope he will be okay. xxxx
Thinking of you, Jack. xxxx

Rabcat
23-08-2014, 11:52 PM
Awwww glad to hear that little Flopsy is still with you xxxxxx :love::love::love:

Sending vibes for him coping with his vacs xxxxxxx

smudgiebun
24-08-2014, 09:46 PM
Oh Jack I can't imagine what you are going through :( Biiiig hugs for you and lots of vibes for little Flopsy.