• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried about bun after dental

Hi,

Just wanted some advice/reassurance about my rabbit (3 1/2 yr old male mini lop)

He wasn't eating properly last week, he was still eating greens and some hay but not his pellets. We took him to vets and they said he may have molar spurs. So he had a dental on Saturday under GA. He ended up staying in the vets until Monday night as he wasn't eating or pooing and they were syringe feeding him.

Anyway to get to the point.. he is home and eating lot's of greens and some nuggets but will barely touch hay. Now he is leaving lots of cecal poos (some v loose) which I presume is due to lack of hay and mainly eating greens.

I am letting him eat what he wants as I figure it is better than nothing but how long can he stay like this and has anyone else experienced a bunny taking a while to get back to hay after dental?

We are going back to vets on Tuesday for check up but will obviously take him sooner if he starts to get worse. But he is very lively and seems ok in himself.

One other thing though is he is being extra destructive in house which may be down to his teeth (chewing everything walls, skirting boards etc)?

Thanks

oh and should of added, he had painkillers and we came home with Metacam but so far I have mainly managed to squeeze it in his face. I am rubbish at handling him

Hi, how is your bunny doing today? just saw your post, when I have to give metacam to my bun I put it in a bit of mashed up banana , only a little piece, and it goes down a treat! With regards to eating, I think sometimes hay is the last thing that some buns will go back to after a dental, it sounds like his mouth is still sore and maybe his tongue was sore as sometimes the spurs on his teeth cause a sore tongue this is probably why he is not cleaning himself or eating his caecals. If it were my bun I would take him back to the vets as soon as you can, hope this helps:wave:

Also keep a check on his bottom, make sure he is keeping it clean, you dont want him to get flystrike, if he is dirty clean him with some warm water on kitchen roll or cotton wool.

Hi, thanks for replying. And sorry for delay in replying, I only just saw it now.
He was doing loads better over weekend and stuffing himself and started eating hay finally on Sunday. Only now he is getting selective again. The vet looked at his teeth last night and said they were fine.
So just baffled now. As long as he is eating and pooing I am not rushing to vets again and just going to see how it goes (obviously if he shows any sign of being unwell I will take him). he is fine in himself and eating hay and greens, just not nuggets.
He is also still destroying the house..
Anyway maybe he just needs some time to settle down again, I hope so.

Back