• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Knowing when it's time to say goodbye.

A little while back I posted introducing you all to tilt,my little guy with a permanent head tilt after his last family neglected to treat him and released him onto the street, I took him from the rescue centre I worked at and he's been the light in my heart for 2 years now.
He has a large absus on his neck and puss leaking from his ear on his "down side". His ear problems go back months but with daily clearing (not for the squeamish) and antibiotics which have not helped I've Tried to ease the discomfort. The absus has come up over the past two weeks. He's still a happy boy but is in great discomfort. It's time for me to be selfless and have him PTS, but how the hell as a loving mummy do you come to terms with that? I feel like a murderer almost. Working with animal rescue I'm used to kindly ending wild animals pain daily, but he is MY boy, and it's so very different. I can't bare to lose him but I don't want to wait untill he is suffering greatly. And my poor guy has no idea that tomorrow will probably be his last day. I'm heartbroken, and have no idea how to deal with this. How do I know making the right choice and not just giving up on him.

Thank you for listening xx shannon

tumblr_nam2ys60oF1qd83xqo1_500.jpg

Last edited:
:cry:.. Awwww Shannon, i am so sorry that little bun is ill...yoi're not giving up on Him. Decisions like this are never taken lightly....

Sometimes its just too difficult to see them suffering... I hope he has a peaceful passing and will soon be binkying at the Bridge.

Love and hugs
fee x

I had to put my thumper to sleep about 3 years ago because she had abcesses in her jaw, I felt she had been through to much and it was time for her not to be in pain. It was very hard and I am tearful writing this but I know she was better off and not in pain anymore. You just know it's something you have to do! Xx

heartbreaking :( i think if pts has entered your mind then you must feel on some level that it is the right time. you know him best. do you think he's ready to go? is he already on strong pain relief and still uncomfortable? x

I feel for you so much, I felt exactly like that with my tomcat years ago when he was diagnosed with leukemia. But you've done so much for your little lad and made him happy. You're a great bunny mummy.

heartbreaking :( i think if pts has entered your mind then you must feel on some level that it is the right time. you know him best. do you think he's ready to go? is he already on strong pain relief and still uncomfortable? x

as far as i can tell he isnt in a great deal of pain, but not much can be done and i dont want to let him get to the point where he is suffering, if the vet can drain the lump and find the cause of the puss leaking from his ear and treat i will be over the moon,and im willing to pay as much as i own to help him. but from working with wild bunnies im pretty sure i know what the vet will suggest, ive put him on everything from panacur to metacam and nothing has helped, its all in his sinus too as he is having trouble breathing and keeping his balance.

as far as i can tell he isnt in a great deal of pain, but not much can be done and i dont want to let him get to the point where he is suffering, if the vet can drain the lump and find the cause of the puss leaking from his ear and treat i will be over the moon,and im willing to pay as much as i own to help him. but from working with wild bunnies im pretty sure i know what the vet will suggest, ive put him on everything from panacur to metacam and nothing has helped, its all in his sinus too as he is having trouble breathing and keeping his balance.

poor little bun :( must be heartbreaking having to make the decision. i hope his passing is peaceful. x

My heart goes out to you - I have been through this nightmare and it's just awful. I can only say that if he's in pain and he's having more bad days than good days then it is kinder to let him go than to leave him struggling on. You are not giving up on him, you are taking the pain so as he no longer has to. Sending hugs at such a difficult time. Xxx

:love:Aww bless him x there is no right or wrong just what your heart and his tells you.

Like many on here I am nursing a special needs bunny who is also a soul mate and I hope I can tell the signs way before he is in too much discomfort and for me a touch too early feels better to make a decision to help him to the bridge.

I wud wish for him what I'd hope for any four or two foot that in his last days I can give him a dignified departure as stress free as possible and surrounded with love.

Hope this helps and what ever you decide this sounds like one lucky bunny x

Back