• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Safe string UD mats too?

Kirotea

Mama Doe
I'm wondering if there's a type of string or similar that is safe if it gets eaten? Google threw out hemp string or sisal string but I've not heard of either before. Does anyone know if they are safe or know of anything else?

Ta muchly :)

Last edited:
Sisal is the stuff often used on cat scratch posts - you should be able to pick it up from ebay or cat pet shops. There are quite a variety of different ropes, including sisal, used by people making toys for parrots too so shops catering to them are another good resource for that sort of thing :)

Thanks both. I want to tie some things in M&M's new enclosure (when I get it) and I'm hoping they won't eat it to be honest but I think they might try at some point so I need something safe!

I presume sisal cat scratching mats would be bunny safe too?

This could solve an issue because the enclosure is going to have a non slip lino floor but they still slip a bit on the kitchen floor which is the same. So I wanted a non slippy runway up one side of the enclosure. M&M eat carpet though so I can't have a rug, I think they would likely eat foam mats too.

Anyone ever had sisal mats for their bunnies?

They do deliver but it's costly so have a look at asda and tesco online. Both have similar and you can pick up in store :D

They do deliver but it's costly so have a look at asda and tesco online. Both have similar and you can pick up in store :D

Yeh it would be £9 delivery on a £15 rug! :roll: I can't seem to find anything similar elsewhere for a low price.

I'd just get some cheap carpet offcuts if they just chewed them but they also eat it if I don't stop them :shock:

Rubber stable matting seems quite popular. If you haven't got the lino yet, then go for non slip safety flooring instead. It does the same basic job as lino but less slippy - it's like the stuff they often use as flooring in vet practices.

Back