• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you put your indoors buns out in the run in winter?

pigletlove

New Kit
Hi, I have 2 indoor buns who I've only had since it's been warm, I know rabbits have furry coats, but if they are used to being indoors can they still go out in the run in winter? How will they keep warm, it's been a bit colder these past few days and I'm worrying they are getting cold lol think I may be being a bit over protective! What does everyone think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I probably wouldn't, change in temperature isn't good for them.

However, my indoor buns go out almost daily to our balcony/roof terrace, but we just leave the doors open so that they can come and go as they please. During winter I let them go out unless it's too cold to keep the doors open but they usually just pop out for a bit of fresh air and come back in, they never stay out that long if it's too cold, or in summer time if it's too hot.

I let my two have some supervised free range garden time on nice days in the winter but they know how to use the cat flap in the back door so go in when they please, usually only a few minutes, I wouldn't leave them out though as the temperature change is not good for them.

I would definitely avoid letting them out for any more than a brief few minutes very occasionally. Frequent temperature changes can cause respiratory illnesses in bunnies so best to avoid.

As others have said, best not too unless its for a very brief time as they won't grow the thick winter fur that outdoor buns grow. Also sudden temperature changes wouldn't be good for them either.

I have the reverse problem that I can't bring my outdoor buns inside during the winter.
Mine have constant access to a run, but are used to being out in the garden too (supervised) so during the winter you will frequently find me and my husband sitting outside in our thermals and thick coats with insulated mugs of tea.:D

No Doughnut stays in in the winter. I don't think she likes the cold much anyway, prefers to lie in the sun when it's out

Mine don't go outside at all and they even stay indoors at their bunny boarding when we go away in November because the temperature change would be too great for them, they don't develop proper winter coats because our house is so warm all the time.

Back