• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

vets with bisc - bladder issues yet again u/d p49

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
bisc and his bladder issues are on-going and don't seem to have any pattern or reason. he not long ago did a course of higher metacam and cerenia and that worked well and he has been symptom free... until now, when he has started weeing outside the trays again, straining occasionally and hunching. usually he does smaller wee's more frequently, but this past couple of days he has been drinking more and doing bigger wee's, and his trays have been alot wetter. until our appointment i put his metacam back up again and all symptoms stopped and he has been acting normally. he's actually well in himself so it's all a bit strange.

we have been to the vets and he has had yet another thorough check over. there doesn't seem to be any reason or pattern to his bladder inflammation (if that's what it is. it never seems to be an infection) - we're now trialling a course of septrin, alongside the higher metacam for 10days just to see how he does. if after that it comes back again, then he will have to have all the xrays, urine cultures and bloods repeated. they never show anything up though. last tests were all clear.

his teeth were checked and they're fine. no stiffness in any joints etc. if anything, he looks fantastic and seems to be in great health. his snuffles are very stable.

the vet mentioned the possibility of this being psychological. he's seen it before and there doesn't seem to be a reason why. it just happens sometimes. we did consider this as it seemed behavioural at one point. so there is that possibility aswell. i don't know how deep rooted problems can be, but when bisc was very young, he had a very bad case of cystitis. he's always had sensitive bladder issues. he has a small bladder, and he's very funny about where and when he urinates. so who knows. :?

he's acting completely fine on higher metacam. so we'll see how we go with this course and after.

eta: his penis is a little bit red but not massively so. the vet said he also wouldn't class bisc as dirty underneath, even though he's not 100% clean like he used to be. also checked his hocks which are much better now we have got used to controlling them.

Last edited:
That would seem a bit of a puzzle, I wonder if it really could be down to behaviour? If there are no physical reasons then it would seem possible.

I know it's no help for you or Bisc but it is quite fascinating to see how complex rabbits really are.

Hope you can get to the root cause of these flares. Lots of vibes xx

That would seem a bit of a puzzle, I wonder if it really could be down to behaviour? If there are no physical reasons then it would seem possible.

I know it's no help for you or Bisc but it is quite fascinating to see how complex rabbits really are.

Hope you can get to the root cause of these flares. Lots of vibes xx

he's certainly a puzzle. :? i agree actually - they're fascinating. and alot do have deep rooted behaviours so you never know, it could be psychological. whatever it is, we can't work it out. :?

x

He doesn't get constipated does he? Doughnut used to be wet all the time and strain and wee everywhere, but it was because she was straining down to go the toilet and so weeing herself. Just a suggestion!

He doesn't get constipated does he? Doughnut used to be wet all the time and strain and wee everywhere, but it was because she was straining down to go the toilet and so weeing herself. Just a suggestion!

we actually used to think it was related to his gassy tummy episodes, but he hasn't had a gassy episode and excess caecs for ages now. got to be months and months. :)

his poops do become slightly smaller when this happens, but i think it's more because he's in pain. :?

Doughnut had septrin and metacam at the beginning since she was so wet. Think it helped a bit, but that was the metacam, obviously the septrin wasn't helping her problem.

I would see what happens after these meds but you could always try metaclop and metacam and see what happens, just to rule it out if you can't find what's wrong. Doughnut didn't have excess caecal, she would be straining and then stomach pressing.

Doughnut had septrin and metacam at the beginning since she was so wet. Think it helped a bit, but that was the metacam, obviously the septrin wasn't helping her problem.

I would see what happens after these meds but you could always try metaclop and metacam and see what happens, just to rule it out if you can't find what's wrong. Doughnut didn't have excess caecal, she would be straining and then stomach pressing.

he does occasionally stomach press still. he used to have metaclop and metacam during his gassy episodes, so maybe it is all related in some way. he does seem to have certain times where his tummy seems to slow down slightly. thanks :wave:

Doughnut is also on infracol twice a day and I don't hear any noises at all now, I used to hear them every time she ducked down to eat her caecal. She is now off the metacam and just on metaclop and infracol twice a day and this seems to keep her healthy and she has been dry ever since.

I'm not saying Bisc has the same thing but it may be worth trying if you are stumped. Sometimes when Doughnut had gone to the toilet her poops were a little bit wet or she had weed at the same time.

Doughnut is also on infracol twice a day and I don't hear any noises at all now, I used to hear them every time she ducked down to eat her caecal. She is now off the metacam and just on metaclop and infracol twice a day and this seems to keep her healthy and she has been dry ever since.

I'm not saying Bisc has the same thing but it may be worth trying if you are stumped. Sometimes when Doughnut had gone to the toilet her poops were a little bit wet or she had weed at the same time.

definitely worth a try. thank you :)

definitely worth a try. thank you :)

Just to let you know initially she was on metacam, metaclop and infracol three times a day, then I realised she didn't really need the metacam then reduced the other medicines to twice a day at 12 hour intervals.

Let me know how you get on. It did take a year to get her well and on the right combination, so I guess what works for one bun doesn't always work for another anyway. They are complicated little fluffies aren't they!

Just to let you know initially she was on metacam, metaclop and infracol three times a day, then I realised she didn't really need the metacam then reduced the other medicines to twice a day at 12 hour intervals.

Let me know how you get on. It did take a year to get her well and on the right combination, so I guess what works for one bun doesn't always work for another anyway. They are complicated little fluffies aren't they!

definitely :roll: i'll see how he goes on the septrin and higher metacam and see where we're at. i don't really think it's an infection though. his urine doesn't smell and doesn't seem a different consistency. the only thing was that it is sometimes more orange than it used to be. the vet said possibly a bacterial cystitis so i guess at least we can try different things and see what happens. at least on higher metacam he is well within himself. :love:

he also used to have infacol aswell. i always have some in just in case. :wave:

i was hoping bisc would take the septrin straight from the syringe, but instead he thought he was getting metacam, so lunged forward ready, and got septrin all over his whiskers :shock: he was not impressed. :shock: anyway, i picked him up and syringed it into his mouth and he was fine with it. :love:

What is it with metacam that they all want it so much? Glad Bisc took the Septrin ok in the end, hope it helps him :)

What is it with metacam that they all want it so much? Glad Bisc took the Septrin ok in the end, hope it helps him :)

i don't know but he gets all crazed :lol::love: he's fine with the septrin. he's really good being syringed actually. :love: he likes to act huffy but i know he doesn't mind the taste because he swallows it fine and doesn't shudder, which he can't help doing if he doesn't like something.

straight after, he runs over to the drawer to beg for a reward so he can't be that angry ;):love:

i hope it helps aswell. i've got some pics of him from today. he looks really well on them. i'll probably start a new thread with them. :love:

I've just been catching up on Bisc's threads as I've been back to the vet with Fudge tonight - as you know we're having similar issues. As well as the tail thing and the weeing everywhere, Fudge also has the orange coloured wee now, though she doesn't strain. Her urine tests keep showing elevated protein and Baytril isn't clearing it. My vet is going to call FHB for advice/possible referral so hopefully she'll have some ideas. I'll be following your threads with interest.

I've just been catching up on Bisc's threads as I've been back to the vet with Fudge tonight - as you know we're having similar issues. As well as the tail thing and the weeing everywhere, Fudge also has the orange coloured wee now, though she doesn't strain. Her urine tests keep showing elevated protein and Baytril isn't clearing it. My vet is going to call FHB for advice/possible referral so hopefully she'll have some ideas. I'll be following your threads with interest.

i hope you can find out what is going on. usually the slanted tail is ec or arthritis/damage, but in fudge and bisc's cases, it isn't. very strange. :? i'll keep checking your threads aswell to see what you've managed to find out aswell. love to fudge x

:love: the idea of him running to his treat drawer is adorable. Does his new med routine seem to be helping?

he begs at the drawer soooooooooo many times a day :lol:

i don't know if it's the meds or just coincidence, but he does seem alot brighter. :love: he's been in a really good mood today :love:

I saw the pics of him pulling out his hay :love: he's a lovely little lad. It's good he seems well in himself :) I must admit I still find it adorable that he begs for his treats :love: bunnies are clever x

Back