• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Clippers for rabbits

maggyrose

Warren Scout
I have been told the best way to sort Arthur's hard matt under his tail is to clip it short, anyone else got other recommendations?

anyone know of any particularly good clippers for bunnies which are very quiet??

the fur under his tail is matted after he has been quite unwell, battling with a messy back end for some time now, he has now dried up nicely but he's been left with this hard 2cm round patch.

do i need to wash it first, dry it and then shave it off?

thanks x

I use scissors but you must be ultra careful. If you don't feel very confident I would take him to the Vets to get it done.

I use the Wahl ones as they are really good! The area will need to be dry and clean to get the best results. One of mine has to have a bum shave every few weeks as she can't clean herself very well. Shaving helps massively. Just be very careful and don't rush and you'll be fine. To get your bunny used to the clippers place your hand anywhere on the bunny then place the running clipper on your hand. That way your bunny will be used to the vibration safely through your hand before you start to actually clip your bunny. Depending on the reaction you can then start to clip the fur away.

Let us know how you get on :wave:

If you find it difficult I'm sure the nurse at your vets would do it for you. I know mine don't charge for nail clipping or a clean up, I just make a donation.

Thanks guys :wave:

I spoke to vet and she said to avoid to bringing him in as we want to minimise stress to him for while, she said just to wash with hibiscrub and see how it is after that, she said if its not getting worse then it should be fine....hmm

he is very good at being held, but my other half isnt too confident in either holding him or grooming ;)

I can even groom his tail underside whilst he is sat down on work surface, so maybe i can clip like that too

Back