• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Dandruff?

Kelly11

Warren Scout
Hi, i have just looked at my little girl daisy and it looks like shes been sprinked with some salt lol

i have attached pics to help best i can ive checked over her fur and couldnt see anything (best i could shes a riggler!) could this be dandruf of some sort?

thanks for any help xxxxxxxx

Could be a mite infection. Mites are not like fleas they are similar to the skin problems like eczema in humans, so it will be itchy and need treatment.

Best take her to the vet so they can double check.

I'd get the vet to have a look and prescribe some treatment for mites. Also get them to give her a good check over, as mites can be a sign of the immune system being compromised by something or of the rabbit struggling to groom themselves.

Thanks everyone I'll book her in tonight I'll take my other rabbit to noël he's completely white so hard to see if he has it! How does this happen? I clean the hutch everyday like their litter tray and old hay and give it a massive clean once a week I feel awful is it somethig I've done :( xxx

Took daisy to vets and they took a sample and they couldnt see any mites at all - they said they could treat them both but as they cannot see it they do not see any reason to treat them

they said keep and eye on her and see how she goes but for now we cant see any mites and might be due to her malting xxx

Back