• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Soldering copper tubing - fumes?

William

Wise Old Thumper
My dad is installing a new AC unit on the weekend and that requires soldering copper tubing in the house. I'm wondering how long the rabbits will have to go outside? I don't know how sensitive rabbits are to fumes?

I don't want to take any chances and bring them in too soon (I won't be able to tell what too soon is though is the problem, fumes are odorless) but they're probably going to get stressed out at being moved outside so i want things to go back to normal for them as soon as possible. My nethies can be stasis prone so I'm worried about that..

Yeah my dad said that it shouldn't be too smokey or smell too bad but I know with birds copper fumes are extremely toxic (obviously I'll have to keep my parrots and indoor ducks outside for a certain length of time too). I'm not sure how sensitive rabbits are about copper - I would imagine more sensitive than humans but less than birds..

And there's also some freon on the tubing that emits toxic fumes when heated.

Not as sensitive as birds, I don't think... I'd leave it an hour maybe with the windows open, but I wouldn't worry about leaving it for ages.

That must be a real worry for you. I would imagine rabbits are pretty sensitive to things like this as they live by smell. Try to keep them isolated for as long as possible.

Yeah the logistics of this with all the pets is going to be hard. The AC closet where the soldering will be done is in the same room where my bunnies are and being a hallway with no windows it won't air out very easily. Although, when the AC works that should filter it out the windows/door I guess.

I think my dad'll probably do it around dawn so that the birds and bunnies can be kept outside all day and then hopefully by nighttime it'll be safe. That's about 14 hours.

it's just going to be scary not knowing if there's toxins in the air or not.:( Especially because of the birds, they're so sensitive... we had a microwave that exploded and emitted metal like fumes and smoke and our 14 year old cockatiel started acting really bad off. We put him outside for awhile and he was fine....until several months later he died of liver disease :( we don't know if the microwave fumes were the cause of his liver disease or not. So after that I've been even more paranoid about toxins.

I'd keep them outside all day if you can, and keep all windows and doors open in the house all day to ventilate the hallway.

It sounds a bit harsh, but when you think it is safe I would just bring in a small bird first and see how they react. Like a canary testing out the mine. If there is an issue, the bird should react in some way and you'll know not to risk the others. Sounds horrid but better one animal than loads.

I would imagine that engineers must have some sort of detection equipment to test air safety, but they may be very expensive.

Back