• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Holly - twigs and leaves. How unsafe ?

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
Mr Bennett is proving to be a cheeky devil in the garden and chewing everything. He chewed a brown Holly twig on Sunday so I brought him inside and he was fine. Today he took a few small bits out of a green fresh twig of Holly and kept trying to eat the leaves. He is back inside.

I have phoned my vets but they are unsure and said I best try to find out on google. I know some plants can be more risky than others so really worried now. Looks like he cannot go out until I can afford to buy panels or a barrier.

What about bamboo too ?

From a brief amount of research, i'd just keep an eye on him and encourage plenty of high fibre munching and water.

It seems most things like that, in very small amounts will cause nothing, but could cause mild gastrointestinal issues, hence what i suggested.

Have to say, not impressed by what your vet said...

:shock: Naughty Casserole. Mr Bennett was fine so he had no ill effect although I haven't let him back out and strangely he hasn't want to go out either.

Gray it was the newish receptionist I spoke to. My vets are brilliant, especially with the help they gave me on rearguard and they always let me come straight up to surgery without an appointment every time I phone.

Back