• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Winter outdoor set ups - what do you need to do?

Alison Marie

Wise Old Thumper
It's starting to get chilly already and I'm thinking about what I need to do to improve my shed set up for the buns. The problem atm is we have to open to door to attach the run, so I think I'll staple something waterproof to the mesh door and get a thick curtain behind it so the draught doesn't come in as much. I'm also going to see about getting some insulation for the roof (suggestions welcome).

Unfortunately we don't want to modify the shed too much bceause it will have to be taken apart again when we move.

In the meantime we'll be putting rugs down on the floor - much easier than loads of bedding/hay as we found last year! - and plenty of snuggly places for them to go to.

I've got a hutch with a runaround system fitted to the mesh doors, and last year I made my own shutters out of cardboard covered in a Megazorb bag to fit over the runaround pipe.

This year I want to improve on the concept and make proper shutters in wood/perspex. And I also want to fit the Runaround to the side of the hutch so I can fully cover the hutch with tarpaulin as last year I had to cut up the front and tie it down around the pipes with bungee cords.

I need to get started as the weather really took a turn last night.

Luckily there's no big changes for me this year as I'm happy with my winter setup :D Over the summer I made a big fat wedge of loads of layers of bubblewrap to slot in the windows as one piece instead of loads of little bits. It means I can take them out much more easily if I need to clean/dust in there. I'll need to pop them into the windows a bit later on in the year and then screw the perspex back in. I also need to screw the twin walled sheeting to 2 of the run sides to provide a bit more protection from the elements... they probably don't need it, but I like to put it on to make them comfy!

Instead of their extra 8 x 2 x 2 run to extend their setup onto the patio I'm just going to add another runaround pipe on so they'll just have the one run over winter, as I found they'd sit in the 8 x 2 x 2 run all the time because it had 2 exits rather than their nice big one!

Brr chilly this morning! I'll have to get the rugs washed and cleaned.

It's been chilly for the last couple of nights up here in the North East, I had to put some towels in George and Harry's hutch last night as I am running low on meadow hay.

I know it's still only August, but the drop in weather feels like I might need to get on with my preparation jobs pretty quick.

Back