• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunnies have fallen out

Ann Marie

New Kit
Hi I'm new to this , plz can anyone help , my rabbits are 3 months old males , they have both been neutered 5 weeks ago , they have been best of friends very close , they r indoor bunnies , they have a 5 ft by 5 ft run that they share , and when I'm in have to fill run on the house ( down stairs ) on Saturday night , just out of the blue , then had a big fight , I couldn't even stop it , fur every where. So I put them bk in the run , and separated it , they could still see each other , in the morning I let them out , and tried them together. straightaway they was at it again, so had to put them back in, Sunday worked all night and got all my 4:30 today , thought that if they have been in longer that they would be okay with each other when I let them out again, but they had a massive fight again , I rang my vet up for advise who told me. To try them in a new place that they haven't been before in a small area and see how they get on for a couple of minutes, tried this and this did not work , I then tried them the bath which was a small area and thinking that they wouldn't fight as it would be slippy, but they did it again even worse and took big bites out of each other, I then let one play in the living room and one play in the dining room for a while , putting them back in their run separately one of them started to attack the other from the other side of the run, I tried to pick him up to put him in , and he went to attack me , jumping up at my legs , I had to put wellies on and gloves try and pick him up , plz help I don't know what to do :(

it sounds like they were too young to have been neutered?? :? did you take them to the vets yourself or did someone tell you they had already been neutered? :wave:

eta: usually three months is the earliest they can be neutered.

I took them , I rang the vets first to see if they was ready , coz one keep trying to mate the other ? The vet checked them and said all their bits r in right place so was ok to do it ? X

I took them , I rang the vets first to see if they was ready , coz one keep trying to mate the other ? The vet checked them and said all their bits r in right place so was ok to do it ? X

i must admit, i've personally only read 10-12 weeks as the earliest their testicles can drop, but i am by no means an expert so others may have more info. not saying the vets are wrong. just i personally haven't heard this before. :wave:

it takes a while for their hormones to settle anyway (usually six weeks or so) so i would let them settle for a while and then try bonding them again on totally neutral territory. alternatively, you could ask a rescue to bond them for you. :wave:

eta: are your vets exotics/rabbit savvy?

Really I've not heard that b4 a rescue do it , then you get them bk ? Should I leave them in their run , or. Let one out at a time ? X

Really I've not heard that b4 a rescue do it , then you get them bk ? Should I leave them in their run , or. Let one out at a time ? X

yes, alot will offer a bonding service for a small fee. then they supervise the bond and you get them back once bonded. if the bond is possible. which hopefully it would be if they got on originally and no blood has been drawn during fighting.

are they fighting alot or are they still snuggling together aswell, and eating together?

Last edited:
They r proper fighting and blood has been drawn , they r Separated now , they could see each other , but I've had to put a cover there so they can't , has they was still trying when they could see each other , they can't be no where near each other ? It's very upsetting , I don't want to give one up , I've never give a pet away ever will break my heart that :(

They r proper fighting and blood has been drawn , they r Separated now , they could see each other , but I've had to put a cover there so they can't , has they was still trying when they could see each other , they can't be no where near each other ? It's very upsetting , I don't want to give one up , I've never give a pet away ever will break my heart that :(

:( i can imagine that would be so hard. but at least they could both then find suitable partners. it's alot to have to get them both new partners and keep two sets.

definitely keep them separate then for the time being. let them settle for a while, and take turns having exercise time. hopefully someone else will be along to advise soon.

sorry if i worried you about the neutering. i have a habit of saying the wrong thing sometimes :roll: x

No thank you , you have been a big help , I was told 2 males was the best pair to get that's why I got them ? But I'm think that wasn't to case :( x

No thank you , you have been a big help , I was told 2 males was the best pair to get that's why I got them ? But I'm think that wasn't to case :( x

if they are litter mates and are neutered in time (which you did), then they can be a good pairing. (i had two brothers myself who were very bonded up until matt passed away last year) - usually neutered male and spayed female is recommended as the best pairing though. but alot depends on personalities aswell alot of the time.

sorry it hasn't worked out that way for your boys. i have read that occasionally they can be rebonded after blood has been drawn and hormones have settled, so it could be worth one last try at a recommended rescue very experienced with bonding. you could start a new thread asking if anyone does it in your area and if they think there could be a chance of them rebonding again. x

I will do that thank very much , I have a bit of hope now , they r beautiful boys , I got them to help me after my dog passed away , and they did , they kept me busy , and was just getting really good around the house , sitting near fire and on sofas and got on well with my cat Scooby , I really hope a rescue can help x

I will do that thank very much , I have a bit of hope now , they r beautiful boys , I got them to help me after my dog passed away , and they did , they kept me busy , and was just getting really good around the house , sitting near fire and on sofas and got on well with my cat Scooby , I really hope a rescue can help x

sorry to hear about your dog :(

i'll keep my fingers crossed for you. x

hi Ann Marie exactly the same happened to me. My boys was fine till they was done six weeks ago and now have to be separated in there cage and run but today they settled down in there run together with out fighting through there mesh so its small steps but getting there. I hope your bunny's become friends soon because I didn't think mine would even sit nicely but its taken a while but its small steps. They must still be able to see each other its helped my boys.

How long did they fight for ? I've just covered them tonight coz they was so bad , and stressed , will take it off tomz , I think I will just try sitting in the run with one at a time , but keep them in tomz , they have lots of room ? X

They still fight when together but its getting better. At one point they was trying to pull each other through the mesh its very scary when they do fight but they have only ever pulled fur and ears never drawn blood. But I sometimes wish I never had them done but its too late now we will just have to do our best please let me know how there getting on :thumb:

Well same again this morning , ones playing out side , other jumping about house , when they see each other , tiles r still up , wish they would sort it out x

It's going to take time and it would be safer not to try to reintroduce them (or get a rescue to) for another three weeks at least. One thing that often helps is driving them somewhere - the change of scene can make them friendlier, but I wouldn't try it yet; their hormones need to die down first. Getting a rescue to help is a really good idea. Hope it works out :wave:

Thanks it's awful seeing them like this , they have been out playing separate , r now bk in looking really sad , it's been 5 weeks since done , someone said it may take up to 8 , they r rubbing their chins on everything they can get to , I think ones that stops that should b a sign that hormones r going ? X

Back