• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Information leaflet I found in pets corner - photos for you to have a look

GabyEmilyB

Warren Scout
Was picking up some locusts for my bearded dragon in pets corner and found this leaflet!never seen it before so it must be new! Thought you guys might like to have a look at it. (sorry it's so big, tried to make it readable lol)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hmm. This is the chain that were on undercover boss couple of weeks ago isn't it? I think Action for Rabbits would like to view this.

Hmm. This is the chain that were on undercover boss couple of weeks ago isn't it? I think Action for Rabbits would like to view this.

Yeah there were on undercover boss. I thought it was a bit of a coincidence.....lol

I posted it here for everyone to have a browse and see what they think.

That Debbie is the breeder who was featured on Undercover Boss wasn't she? if so, her hutches were very small.

How fascinating! Have you read their ethical breeding contract?

http://www.petscorner.co.uk/media/pdf/ethical-breeder-contract.pdf

It specifies that rabbits must be kept in a minimum hutch size of 152x76x60cm (it doesn't say whether the 60 is height or depth though, is there a standard convention for which order dimensions are presented?) so I trust their highlighted ethical breeder has used her new improved payments to upgrade all the hutches.

The bigger concern for me is the one about rest periods between litters. For rabbits it says 6-10 weeks after kindling. Surely they mean after weaning? 6 weeks after kindling is basically when the babies are being weaned and means the does can have back-to-back litters. If they mean 6 weeks after weaning, then doesn't that make it impossible to have 3 litters a year as per the ethical breeder on the programme? Admittedly they may have put these guidelines in place after the programme, it would be interesting to know.

Also, why are rabbits 6-10 weeks after kindling, but guinea pigs 20 weeks?? Maybe it's simply about demand rather than any specific welfare reason for the mums. And finally on my rant, why 6-10 weeks? Why not just say 10 weeks or something? There's a whole world of difference between 6 and 10 weeks so if they're talking about a minimum, surely it would be better to just decide where that benchmark is. I'd definitely like to see them change that to after weaning rather than after kindling!!

That Debbie is the breeder who was featured on Undercover Boss wasn't she? if so, her hutches were very small.

I completely agree with that!

How fascinating! Have you read their ethical breeding contract?

http://www.petscorner.co.uk/media/pdf/ethical-breeder-contract.pdf

It specifies that rabbits must be kept in a minimum hutch size of 152x76x60cm (it doesn't say whether the 60 is height or depth though, is there a standard convention for which order dimensions are presented?) so I trust their highlighted ethical breeder has used her new improved payments to upgrade all the hutches.

I would assume that 60 is the depth because volume is measured length x height x depth

Just because they're bred in someone's home instead of a factory doesn't mean they're ethical. The breeder featured on Undercover Boss and the leaflet was purely in it for the £££ with a sob story attached.

It sounds like they do more for the welfare of animals than certain other chains but there is still a long way to go IMO.

Back