• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When can I actually adopt an abandoned rabbit

georgiaanna

Young Bun
Hello everyone
I was just wondering If anyone could offer me some advice. I have taken on an abandoned rabbit I have had him for a week, he has had his nails trimmed as they were appalling, he is the most beautiful rabbit, he is very friendly. The thing is I'd love to keep him, he's male and would need to be castrated, how long do I leave it before I can actually keep ham, yes that's his name, my nephew chose it :)

Hello everyone
I was just wondering If anyone could offer me some advice. I have taken on an abandoned rabbit I have had him for a week, he has had his nails trimmed as they were appalling, he is the most beautiful rabbit, he is very friendly. The thing is I'd love to keep him, he's male and would need to be castrated, how long do I leave it before I can actually keep ham, yes that's his name, my nephew chose it :)

Lol! That's a brilliant name. And well done for taking this little guy on :thumb:

Where did he come from exactly? Did someone leave him with you or did you find him somewhere? x

I believe it is 7 days and you need to have made all reasonable attempts to locate his owner- ie get him scanned for a microchip, put up notices in the area he was found (just say 'Rabbit found in xxxxx location. Dont give too many details about him as there are some randoms who may claim he is their's when he's not). Contact local Vets to ask if any client has reported a missing Rabbit.

I believe it is 7 days and you need to have made all reasonable attempts to locate his owner- ie get him scanned for a microchip, put up notices in the area he was found (just say 'Rabbit found in xxxxx location. Dont give too many details about him as there are some randoms who may claim he is their's when he's not). Contact local Vets to ask if any client has reported a missing Rabbit.

Yeah this is basically what I was gunna say, I think as long as you've tried really hard to find the owner you can say he's truly ''abandoned'' after 7 days. Then he can become yours :D x

Lol! That's a brilliant name. And well done for taking this little guy on :thumb:

Where did he come from exactly? Did someone leave him with you or did you find him somewhere? x

Hiya Sarah, thank you, basically on my local town updates on Facebook someone had put that they had found a bunny at a school, well it turns out my sister who is a teacher works with her so I emailed her and said i would take him on, she brought him round and he has been here ever since! He was found at a school just about to be attacked by a fox but some builders saved him !

Hiya okay thank you he is booked in the vets next Saturday x

If I were you I would get him microchipped now with your address and details. That way you can prove he is yours and also wandering rabbits have a habit of trying to wander again - so best to be safe and sure!

If I were you I would get him microchipped now with your address and details. That way you can prove he is yours and also wandering rabbits have a habit of trying to wander again - so best to be safe and sure!

That is a great idea, thank you parsnip!! Thank you so much

Back