• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to examine a rabbit's ears?

katie88

Mama Doe
Hi All

Looking for some general advice on how to examine a bunny's ears?

Marbles is going in for a dental tomorrow but I'm going to ask them to check her ears while she's there as I have an inkling her ear infection may have returned. She has been shaking her head and scratching her ear a lot the last few days. Thankfully she hasn't had any neurological symptoms (yet) this time so I'm hoping if it is infected we may have caught it in its earlier stages.

However, I'm thinking that it'd be good to be able to check her ears myself on a regular basis so I can keep on top of this, especially if it's going to be a recurring thing.

I am thinking of buying an otoscope but I have never used one before. I may ask the vet to show me but in the meantime can anyone talk me through how to check rabbits' ears and what to look out for?

Thanks!

An otoscope would enable you to view down as far as the tympanic membrane (ear drum) So you would look for things like excessive amounts of wax (some wax is normal), if there were to be a lot of wax you wont be able to see the tympanic membrane. Inflammation within the ear canals would indicate a problem as would the presence of pus. Brown crustiness usually indicates ear mites. Also feeling around the ear bases for lumps which would be a sign of ear base abscesses.

An otoscope would enable you to view down as far as the tympanic membrane (ear drum) So you would look for things like excessive amounts of wax (some wax is normal), if there were to be a lot of wax you wont be able to see the tympanic membrane. Inflammation within the ear canals would indicate a problem as would the presence of pus. Brown crustiness usually indicates ear mites. Also feeling around the ear bases for lumps which would be a sign of ear base abscesses.

That is just what i was after, thanks so much Jane! :thumb: :D

Just curious. What type of otoscope specula does everyone find works best- the extended veterinary type or just the standard ones used on people? I'm looking into getting one as well, but wasn't sure which worked best for rabbits. Also, any particular brand that anyone likes?

Just curious. What type of otoscope specula does everyone find works best- the extended veterinary type or just the standard ones used on people? I'm looking into getting one as well, but wasn't sure which worked best for rabbits. Also, any particular brand that anyone likes?

I'd be interested in this too. I've looked online but you can get all sorts of different ones, ranging from about £30 to several hundred!

I'm assuming a basic one would be suitable for home use seeing as I'd only be using it to monitor and would always take to the vet for a proper investigation if I was worried.

For ears a standard specula is fine in most cases except for English Lops or Lops with similarly very long ears

For oral examination to check for molar spurs a long Veterinary specula is needed.

Thanks Jane! It'd be very handy if I could learn to check marbles' teeth too but I don't think I'm confident enough to do that just yet!

Back