• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbits start nesting again after being spayed?

cpayne

Warren Veteran
Doughnut was spayed 3 years ago and she suddenly seems to be nesting. Well I'm not sure it is nesting but she is behaving like she did before she was being spayed. She used to dig and dig in one particular area and then keep going back to it. She's now doing this under the sofa in the conservatory.

She really isn't a digger. She doesn't dig outside, the only place she digs is in her carrier! She's more of a chewer, so not sure why. It's like she has a bee in her bonnet and has to keep going back there to dig.

I keep wondering if metaclopramide has an effect on hormones but haven't heard that it does.

My Pixie actually builds nests. I am not 100% sure she was spayed as I got her from a friend, but two vets have checked her over and are pretty certain she is.

I believe even when spayed some tissue can be left behind which can produce hormones so they still have nesting tendancies, it happened to one of my cats and she would regularly carry things round in her mouth and treat them as kittens.

Maybe that's why then, it's strange she has only started doing it and it's only specific places.

I know that longterm use of Metoclopromide in humans can cause neurological toxicity. I also think it can have some effect on the endocrine system as in women it can augment milk production by increasing the levels of prolactin.

In short, the longterm use of Metoclopromide might be an issue, but her behaviour may be totally unrelated. I would speak with Mark about it :)

That's interesting. She is only on 0.5mg twice a day but I guess over time it may have an effect. I'll speak to Mark. She's OK otherwise. Hopefully she can continue on it as it's the only thing that seems to help her.

Patch nests...she's a nightmare, fur, hay, whatever she can get hold of, then she carries it around for hours before building a nest

She gets a bit vicious too :roll:

Maybe she isn't making a nest then as she doesn't use anything. She is just obsessed with digging in the evening. Like there is something there. She obviously enjoys it as I called her and she came bouncing over and did a binky!

Back