• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mites

Fellie

Warren Veteran
Bug went to vets for vaccinations yesterday - and had her ears checked. She has obviously been scratching at them a bit - there are some nicks in them. So the vet thinks she may have mites - but not badly so - and we put on the mite treatment stuff this morning (nasty stuff - she was not impressed bless her).

Anyway - where on earth could she have picked up mites from? She is a bunny on her own - and does free range where the other buns free range but none of the them are showing any signs of mite - not scratching or anything.

And if it is mites - how easily do they spread? Should I get the other buns checked and treated? What other symptoms of mite are there?

Thank you :thumb:

I currently have a call in to my vets for some selamectin which is the only thing I use on my rabbits. I used to put it on preventively but slacked of the last year or so and due to the weather conditions being just right and perhaps some dodgy hay we've got an outbreak on our hands.
:( :evil:
Have googled lots of home remedies too but not certain how effective they are...or how safe for the bunnies. My three just saw their vet the other day and she checked for them but they are notoriously hard to find. My evidence is they've been biting me for two weeks! And of course my washing machine is broken again. :(

I wish I could be of more help but I'm struggling too. :( if anyone out there has any good advice I'm all (itchy) ears! :oops:

Ashley had mites once when she was on her own and a house bunny. The vets gave her something while we were there to treat it, I can't remember what it was.

Like fleas, mites can spread reasonably quickly so it is worth keeping an eye on your other buns. Supposedly they can get into hay and bedding etc.

I have been told that mites and fleas are attracted to rabbits with compromised health which makes sense as Ashley has a few issues and has had fleas every summer for the last 3 years. The first 2 years she was a house bunny on her own with no access to cats. The last time (a few weeks ago) she was outside and with Bailey but Bailey didn't get them.

If Bug is otherwise in good health this is unlikely to be the reason but if he has any problems this might be why.

Bug is in great health. .and it was only that she had nicks inside her ears from scratching them. The vet didn't say if the mites were inside or out.
Hopefully the mites treatment will do the job..not sure what is ..It was 2 small plastic tubes and greasy.
The other buns seem fine but will obviously keep a close eye on them.
Thanks everyone. .yet more stuff I've learnt about buns :)

Back