• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

[Help] - Bunny novices have acquired a new friend!

iaintait

New Kit
First time poster. Sorry for hopping right in. It's for the bunnies.

Not sure if this is the right board for this, but it seemed like one of the busier ones, and we need help quickly-ish.

On Saturday afternoon my wife saw a rabbit in the garden. Not a wild one. We live in Dulwich, South East London. Clearly this is a pet. Here's the little beauty:

psfVCGpl.jpg

We went around and asked all the immediate neighbors. No one knew of anyone who had a rabbit. Although there was one family that were out who seemed like the only people who it could have been. We took a peek over the fence and sure enough we see a hutch with a door ajar. Bingo! So I leave a note on the door letting them know we're looking after their little guy.

Then we spent an hour comedically trying to catch him (sorry I refer to the rabbit as him, not sure why, probably some gender stereotyping resulting from over-exposure to Bugs as a kid). Eventually we managed with a plate of leaves and some stealth.

I fashioned a makeshift hutch out of our kids cardboard construction toy and some bin-bags for weather-proofing. And we put some chairs around it as reinforcement.

BH0WLuBl.jpg

We read the RSPCA Rabbit Care guidelines about having a place to hide and room to stand up - that's what informed the architecture. We put a bunch of ripped up paper in there to make it cosy. So we were feeling relatively OK about this temporary arrangement. It's clearly far from perfect. But we thought it'd do for a few hours. And we fed him (leaves and broccoli and some long grass / hay), put out some water, and gently petted him a bit.

Nighttime comes around and they're not back. Nor has someone who's caring for the rabbit come round (I put the note on the front door rather than through the letterbox just in case they've got a friend who's not going through the house looking after the rabbit).

Being worried about foxes we clear out the shed and move the cardboard hutch in there. Clearly he doesn't like that much, there's a lot of scraping on the floor (we put down some more paper to try and make it somewhat comfortable). But we figured better he's a bit uncomfortable rather than a foxes dinner.

tuUqZNXl.jpg

Same routine on Sunday.

Now it's Monday. Still no sign of the owners. And we're not sure what to do. No one seems to have contact information for them. And we're not sure whether to be worried or what to do.

The temporary accommodation is getting shabby and we clearly need to let him run around some more. But catching him has been really tricky, and we're not Rabbit handlers so we don't want to hurt him, or lose him.

What should we do?

• We're going to go and get a bunch of hay to make him more comfortable.
  • Should we try and buy a proper hutch for him? We kind of don't want to do that in case 5 minutes later the owners turn up.
  • Are there local groups (Dulwich) that we should speak to? Or the RSPCA?
  • Should we let him out?
  • Should we try and bunk over the fence and get him back into his hutch? (I don't think so then we'll have to break in to feed him?!?)
  • If it gets to night-time again should we put him back in the shed like we have been doing?
  • Anything we're missing.
  • Anyone got any smart ideas?

Like I said we've never kept Rabbits and we're making this up as we go along! So please don't be mean, we're doing what we can with what we've managed to cobble together and read on the web.

The longer this goes on the more my wife and kids fall for the little guy...

06h0hQcl.jpg

Well done you for taking him in! You've probably saved his life!

It might be worth calling the RSPCA to let them know what's happened.....

Have you seen what his living conditions were?
Does the owners house look lived in or empty?

Often owners move and leave animals behind which is incredibly sad. I find it odd that if they are away on holiday, they have left the rabbit alone with no care or if they have organised care...why hasn't the person realised he's gone?

The RSPCA have the power to investigate these kind of things and can enter the property. Other forum members might correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I would do (and what would be going through my mind).

Keep him shed bound unless supervised, biggest threat is Fox's and they come out at all hours and are pretty smart at getting into runs / boxes etc.

He will definatly need some Hay + fresh water + a bit of food.

I would take a look at his general condition, if his nails are clipped and he seems otherwise happy and healthy and fairly familiar with humans he is probably well cared for. I would give it a day or so and see if the neighbours turn up.

Awww - he looks like a real sweety and I am so pleased he is safe.

I agree - contact the RSPCA - the owners (obviously next door) may well have just left him and could possibly have had a person come over to feed etc who left the door open by mistake and now thinks the bun has just gone! I would also take him to your nearest vet for a check up and they may well know the owners and will know where they are.

In the meantime however - is there any chance you could bring the bun indoors? It would be safer for him and easier to make a makeshift pen - chairs, old babygates, etc. And then he could also be let out for supervised free range time. Loads of us on here have indoor buns - and they do great. Also I would buy him a bag of hay - it is the most important food for a bun and you know it is safe to give - veggies etc can be a problem if the bun hasn't had them before. And obviously water - plenty of:thumb:

And be very, very careful - buns are extremely addictive and it seems to be that you're all falling for the little 'guy' :D

Have you seen what his living conditions were?
Does the owners house look lived in or empty?

Living conditions look pretty good.
The house looks lived in. And one of the neighbours said they saw them a couple of days ago.
So I don't think they've left him behind permanently.

I find it odd that if they are away on holiday, they have left the rabbit alone with no care or if they have organised care...why hasn't the person realised he's gone?

That's our biggest dilemma!

The RSPCA have the power to investigate these kind of things and can enter the property. Other forum members might correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I would do (and what would be going through my mind).

I suspect that's right. It's just that we've only lived here for 2 weeks and are trying not to make enemies so soon. But if they're not back today I think that's the right thing to do.

In the meantime however - is there any chance you could bring the bun indoors? It would be safer for him and easier to make a makeshift pen - chairs, old babygates, etc. And then he could also be let out for supervised free range time. Loads of us on here have indoor buns - and they do great. Also I would buy him a bag of hay - it is the most important food for a bun and you know it is safe to give - veggies etc can be a problem if the bun hasn't had them before. And obviously water - plenty of:thumb:

We're only renting the place and the floors and carpets are pretty nice. I know that sounds terrible.

Thanks for the hay advice, and we'll go easy on the veggies.

And be very, very careful - buns are extremely addictive and it seems to be that you're all falling for the little 'guy' :D

Sophie (wife): "Why don't we just buy a hutch, we can look after him..."

It's too late...

Keep him shed bound unless supervised, biggest threat is Fox's and they come out at all hours and are pretty smart at getting into runs / boxes etc.

Really? He absolutely hates it on the hard floor. If we got hay down would be calm down a bit?

I would take a look at his general condition, if his nails are clipped and he seems otherwise happy and healthy and fairly familiar with humans he is probably well cared for. I would give it a day or so and see if the neighbours turn up.

He does seem in really good condition so it doesn't seem like neglect has been an issue.

Update...

So I called the RSPCA.

They said we're doing the right thing, but they're going to send someone round to pick him up.

That made me feel really sad...

:cry:

I would have a chat with the RSPCA inspector and make it very clear that you are more than willing to look after the little guy and make him comfortable, they may think that you want them to take him but if you let them know that you are willing to bring his living standards up to scratch if the original owners do not claim / want him you should be able to adopt.

As long as the floor of the shed is clean and you put a bit of hay down he should be fine, a litter tray would be a good idea.

He is a lovely little guy and well done you for rescuing him, without your help he would have been in trouble

I would have a chat with the RSPCA inspector and make it very clear that you are more than willing to look after the little guy and make him comfortable, they may think that you want them to take him but if you let them know that you are willing to bring his living standards up to scratch if the original owners do not claim / want him you should be able to adopt.

As long as the floor of the shed is clean and you put a bit of hay down he should be fine, a litter tray would be a good idea.

He is a lovely little guy and well done you for rescuing him, without your help he would have been in trouble

I agree with this! You've done a really good job so far and this little chap has obviously squirmed his way into your hearts. I sort of hope for your sakes you do end up adopting him.;)

Thank you! I'll have that conversation when the inspector comes round.

Great advice.

In fact thanks to everyone. Rabbit people are good people :D

I agree with this! You've done a really good job so far and this little chap has obviously squirmed his way into your hearts. I sort of hope for your sakes you do end up adopting him.;)

I also hope you end up adopting him!

Let us know how it goes with the inspector :)

Oh my word. What a cutie!! 😊 I really hope that you manage to persuade the RSPCA inspector to let you keep him. Or at least to let you adopt him if the original owner doesn't claim him within a certain period. It's like he was meant to find you.

If either or both of my two ever managed to do a Houdini act and escape I really hope they would be lucky enough to be found by someone as caring as you. (Although I hasten to add I would never leave them unattended in their hutch for that period of time!!)

Like others on this thread im concerned that the owners/carers haven't come forward.

Anyway its good that he has you to help.If you DO end up having him, stay with us here at RU.We are a friendly bunch and can help with lots of queries new bunny people sometimes have:wave:

RSPCA Came

So, here's the update. A lovely lady from the RSPCA came and took HER away. (Sorry Lady Bunnies).

It was a very sad moment, Sophie and I both had a tear in our eyes...

Mq3wpMGl.jpg

BUT! If the neighbors haven't come forward in 7 days then they're going to get in touch and we can talk about getting her back...

Thanks to all for kind words, support and advice.
You lot are great :)

Oh I guess that's for the best for right now as you don't have a proper secure set up for her at the moment. I'm torn between hoping her owners haven't abandoned her and hoping you get to have her back! I guess if they do get in touch you could always go and have a browse of your local RSPCA branch for maybe a bunny (or two) of your own.... :)

On the one hand I hope that the owners don't come forward so that the little girl can be loved and well cared for. On the other if it was a mistake and the owners were looking after her well then I do hope they can find them so bunny can go home.

Either way I hope she has a great life.

You did a great thing :thumb: Not many people would care to help a bunny in need sadly

So, here's the update. A lovely lady from the RSPCA came and took HER away. (Sorry Lady Bunnies).

It was a very sad moment, Sophie and I both had a tear in our eyes...

Mq3wpMGl.jpg

BUT! If the neighbors haven't come forward in 7 days then they're going to get in touch and we can talk about getting her back...

Thanks to all for kind words, support and advice.
You lot are great :)

At least you know they can sort the situation out and if the owners weren't suitable you can get her back! Which I hope you are keen to because I'm sure you could give her a loving home if she doesn't already have one :)

Keep us updated what happens in seven days.....I'm desperate to know the end of this story!lol

Back