• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

lola just choked

joeybun

Warren Scout
It scared living daylight out of me :cry:
I switched them over to science selective pellets about 2 weeks ago. I went out to give them their tea and lock the shed up and noticed she jumped at the shed wall, then at the drawers. I started to panic and realised what was happening, but with her being a nervous bun and that she was panicking I couldn't get near her to help (not that I would have bern any good, I was shaking like mad) she then jumped into the litter tray next to me and I could hear her making like a gagging noise and she was dribbling. I ran inside to tell my mum but by the time we came running she was sat eating pellets!! :roll:
I picked up what was left (I scatter little bits around) and broke them all up into smaller pieces and sat with them to make sure everything was ok. It was a matter of a couple of minutes, if that but it was so scary :(
I will be buying burgess excel tomorrow to start the switch over and they will be staying on that. I knew I shouldn't have changed the food over when there was nothing wrong with it in the 1st place :evil:
But thank goodness my baby is ok :love:

Thank you :wave:
She's absolutely fine, nudging me to hurry up whilst I was breaking up the pellets :shock: my mum and sister came running out with me to find her eating and they just thought I was exaggerating :roll:
I just need to calm myself down now.

While my others have no problems with SS, my indoor boys scoff.. I soak them now and no issues anymore, too soft to choke. Kerbie used to run off and make hiccup motions before running back to eat more just as quickly :roll: hand feeding helped too but soaking is easier otherwise Kerbie would take your fingers off!

Gosh how scary :shock: I got a sample of Science Selective, but it's just too large for my dental buns, so I'll be breaking it into pieces for them!

That is really scary and one of my worst fears. Thank goodness Lola was ok! Mine do so well on SS, so I sit and break up all the pellets. Sometimes over the course of a few days I will get through the whole bag! My OH does it too and today I saw he leaves them bigger than I would, so I think I am going to have to be the one who does them all from now on otherwise I will be anxious when he does them!

While my others have no problems with SS, my indoor boys scoff.. I soak them now and no issues anymore, too soft to choke. Kerbie used to run off and make hiccup motions before running back to eat more just as quickly :roll: hand feeding helped too but soaking is easier otherwise Kerbie would take your fingers off!

I think it was down to her trying to eat too quickly, charlie tends to be the greedier of the 2 so I guess she just tried to get her share 1st. I'll be starting the change over back to the burgess pellets tomorrow, I don't think I could live with myself if I let either of them choke again :(
I've never heard anything like the noise she was making though and she had drool dripping down her chin which I haven't seen a bun do.

That is really scary and one of my worst fears. Thank goodness Lola was ok! Mine do so well on SS, so I sit and break up all the pellets. Sometimes over the course of a few days I will get through the whole bag! My OH does it too and today I saw he leaves them bigger than I would, so I think I am going to have to be the one who does them all from now on otherwise I will be anxious when he does them!

They've only been on SS for about 2 weeks but I never thought I'd have a problem. With the pellets being bigger I'd noticed they eat slower so thought it would have been better for them, but I was obviously wrong :( :?

There have been numerous reports on here of Rabbits choking on SS :cry:

My now at the Bridge (unrelated to choke) Hal being just one of them. This was him after the awful incident

I would never feed my Rabbits SS again

I would advise you to get the Vet to listen to Lola's lungs this morning, even if she seems absolutely fine within herself. If any food went onto her lungs there is a risk of her developing aspiration pneumonia. Hal had to have a variety of meds for a week after his choking incident, even though once the initial crisis was over he acted perfectly normally. His lungs told a different story though.

I also would be going to the vets for a check up. Since I first read about rabbits choking I've been extra vigilant. I only give them pellets when I'm there to supervise and scatter feed them or use a great ball to discourage them wolfing them too much.

Its funny but one of the reasons I got Excel after seeing the SS was because I thought ''Those pellets look really big''

I was worried because my boys were so small and Finn was a scoffer. I hadn't even heard of incidents of rabbit choking before.

I'm glad your girl is OK, if anything I'm not convinced I won't be switching the boys to SS when they run out of Excel, they have no problems on it anyway! :)

Oh gosh, how terrifying for you & poor Lola. I feed my girls on SS & my boys in excel - only reason is that I had my boys before id heard of ss & then when I got my girls I heard it was slightly better than excel as it can cause stomach upsets. I've been thinking of changing my boys over to ss but after this, I don't think I will!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope Lola is all right this morning. I agree with Jane to get her a check at the vet. My Mr Bubble choked on a SS pellet and he was on antibiotics for a week as a precaution.

I had also not long changed him on to SS pellets, believing they were better. Not recommending it, but I changed him straight back to his old food because I didn't want him choking again. Took him ages to eat properly though.

I will never use SS again.

I'm sticking with oxbow as they're tiny, Timothy hay based and fit well in a treatball
Hope Lola is ok this morning and gets all clear from vets x

Thank you for all of the advice, lola is booked in for 2.30 this afternoon :thumb:
I will not be buying any more SS and for the next week or so while changing them back to excel, I'll be breaking them up and putting some in the treat ball as well as the usual scattering. It's sad to see that this isn't very uncommon and I'd hate to think how many buns have suffered from this problem :cry::evil:
Lola seems absolutely fine in her self and has been begging for treats :lol: hopefully she'll get the all clear or precautionary antibiotics.
Thank you all again, it means a lot :)

There have been numerous reports on here of Rabbits choking on SS :cry:

My now at the Bridge (unrelated to choke) Hal being just one of them. This was him after the awful incident

I would never feed my Rabbits SS again

I would advise you to get the Vet to listen to Lola's lungs this morning, even if she seems absolutely fine within herself. If any food went onto her lungs there is a risk of her developing aspiration pneumonia. Hal had to have a variety of meds for a week after his choking incident, even though once the initial crisis was over he acted perfectly normally. His lungs told a different story though.

Thank you Jane.
:cry: this is how she was drooling,( thankfully it didn't seem to be coming out of her nose or at least not as bad as your buns) but Because my mum or sister didn't see it happening they thought I was over reacting but when I showed your pictures they started to understand my worry. Thank you x

Wow that's have been so scary. I dread this happening. I didn't realise it was a common thing with as pellets. Bungee and Bo have them. I changed because I thought they were better than excel. Now I'm worried I shouldn't have.

I've just got back from the vets. She's had an anti inflammatory pain killer(i think :?) one off antibiotic.
The vet checked her lungs and was happy that she was ok but told me to keep a very close eye on her and if I notice anything out of the ordinary to get her her back in and she will be put on a course of antibiotics. She checked her, ears, eyes and tummy and said that she was in good health so they're shouldn't be any problems. and she weighs 2.94kg :thumb:
I couldn't resist have a good cuddle with lola while I had a chance... and she didn't seem to mind :lol:
I can't thank you all enough, I was a nervous wreck last night.

Back