• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Winter Garage?

Scruffy

Banned
Hi folks?

Just thinking about winter (early I know)

We recently moved and now have a garage, not converted and heated, just your typical garage.

I was thinking about bringing the rabbits into the garage on winter nights and keeping them outdoors in the daytime. They are already outdoor rabbits and done one winter.

But I'm thinking it might be more gentle on them doing it that way.

Any thoughts? Good idea/bad idea?

Thank in advance!

I would definately bring them in if we get a cold winter. Our garage is more or less the same temperature as outside during a cold spell!

I would definately bring them in if we get a cold winter. Our garage is more or less the same temperature as outside during a cold spell!

Yeah my garage would get pretty much the same, there would be more shelter though .

I suppose the change of temp would be minimal?

I put my outdoor bunnies in the garage over winter.They have big pens with lino flooring covered with hay and I hang heatlamps from the rafters.I make sure mains leads are well out of the way and the lamps are a metre from the hay surface.Theres plenty of light and space so during very cold spells they stay put.

Yeah my garage would get pretty much the same, there would be more shelter though .

I suppose the change of temp would be minimal?

Definately minimal! I have to put my coat on in the winter when I go in the garage!

August and it feels like the end of October doesn't it! No harm in bringing them in your lovely toasty garage for the winter. My bunnies hutch is over 6ft so bringing it in the garage isn't as easy as it sounds xD. My dad installed a rabbit radiator in the top bedroom for them so it's lovely and warm as I can't move my buns hutch, but trust me it's just as warm for them. I have 2 indoor dog crates for when my buns come in during the day and I move them inside when the weather is really bad.

Ours too I bet!

Do you keep yours outside in the day and bring in at night?

My rabbit is a freerange houserabbit and goes outside, freerange, whenever someone is home.

I keep my piggies in the garage. This time of year they go out all day and in the garage at night.

Jumping on this thread !! Do your piggies have light in the garage ? I'm thinking of moving mine in the winter but will be dark ! ?

Jumping on this thread !! Do your piggies have light in the garage ? I'm thinking of moving mine in the winter but will be dark ! ?

In summer I leave the garage door open until late so plenty of light. Once it goes dark the light goes on and stays on! Hoping a lightbulb doesn't take too much electricity!

Back