• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Now Dumplin has Fleas

Mrsmcarey

Mama Doe
My poor boy he is eating, drinking, peeing and pooping mostly fine and is munching hay :)

His abscess is horrible they cut 2 drainage holes And flushed but it started to fill up again :( but I have bathed it with salt water that he really didn't like and did not tolerate well and I got my finger tasted but only as a warning :roll:

We went back to,the vet for a 3rd check and I saw something run back into his fur :shock: a rotten flea :evil:

So now on top of generally feeling like poop he has fleas too :( I have treated him tonight and he is enjoying being a house bunny I think :lol:

What do you recon ?
01bc49604c510e05e4179b3b3572715e_zps000f1c23.jpg

Oh bless him! Do hope the fleas clear up soon and the abscess treatment is effective.

Lovely to see him being pampered. :love:

Oh bless him! Do hope the fleas clear up soon and the abscess treatment is effective.

Lovely to see him being pampered. :love:

He is being very good too and hasn't pooped or peed on my carpet yet he goes back into the indoor cage to,the litter tray, and he is out when I'm in as I have bunny proofed the living room well blocked off the gaps so he can't get behind things :roll:

Every now and again I chuck a raisin or leaf on the blanket for him so,he knows every time I move I'm not going to pounce on him for something else:roll:

The only thing that I'm worried about is if he works out the cat flap cos he won't come to me in the garden anymore and it's a proper chase :evil::lol:

Poor Dumplin, I hope the second draining is going to help him heal. He does look very comfy & at home as a house bunny :love:

He is very comfy, I think the anti-biotics are kicking in as it seems to,have gone down quite a lot so I think it's working and the fleas don't like the Advantage stuff they are all running off him and I'm squishing them when I see them :)

He keeps sitting at the back door looking out poor thing :( but he won't come back if I let him out and it's too stressful chasing him around for me that is he seems to think its great :roll:

It will be great if the anti-b's do clear if all up. I do hate fleas grr no good to anyone them little things. One of my cats has really dense fur & they loves him :evil:

Hi this is like day -ja -vu. Gizmo had one of his abscesses removed in April and his ear canal resectioned. (Awful having to see a bunny go through it so you have our sympathies their) we too have to clean out the excess puss every day from the drainage hole , which I am happy to say is hardly anything now. He is on baytrill for life to hopefully keep the other abscess and the remains of the one they removed at bay. He went for a check up the other day and although all good on the abscess front he had a flea 😡 I was paranoid so whole house and other bunnies and him are now treated.... Two days on and no more pesky fleas😆😆😆 .....
I had doubts that gizmo would ever be the happy little bunny he was but now if anything I would go as far to say he is happier! He seems to love all the extra fuss (even though a lot of it is to examine him or check for puss) he seems used to the ear cleaning routine the only thing he hates is him baytrill. But in general he amazes me how well he copes :)..... Hope you bun is coping too if you want to pm me anything about dealing with post surgery etc happy to help if I can 🐰🐰🐰

Hi this is like day -ja -vu. Gizmo had one of his abscesses removed in April and his ear canal resectioned. (Awful having to see a bunny go through it so you have our sympathies their) we too have to clean out the excess puss every day from the drainage hole , which I am happy to say is hardly anything now. He is on baytrill for life to hopefully keep the other abscess and the remains of the one they removed at bay. He went for a check up the other day and although all good on the abscess front he had a flea  I was paranoid so whole house and other bunnies and him are now treated.... Two days on and no more pesky fleas .....
I had doubts that gizmo would ever be the happy little bunny he was but now if anything I would go as far to say he is happier! He seems to love all the extra fuss (even though a lot of it is to examine him or check for puss) he seems used to the ear cleaning routine the only thing he hates is him baytrill. But in general he amazes me how well he copes :)..... Hope you bun is coping too if you want to pm me anything about dealing with post surgery etc happy to help if I can 

Hi glad your Gizmo is ok :D

Well Dumplin doesn't like the Septrin anti-biotic :( won't let me near his face to bathe it :evil: and is very wary of anything I offer him now even treats :roll:

I tried mixing his meds with banana, purée baby apple and banana pudding and apple an strawberry pudding and even fresh apple juice :roll: he won't touch anything :evil: I have to wrap him up like a baby with only head showing prop him on his bum not feet and rock and stroke his head then try :lol: to get the syringe in his mouth before he works out what I'm up to :lol: it's a long process 2ml meds = half hour of rocking :roll:

Other than that his abscess is reducing in size it's not weeping anymore so can't get any out we are back for another check on Thursday morning

And his fleas are getting fewer so that's good ;)

Poor Dumplin ... and poor you - it sounds like he is not the easiest of patients, bless him. x

I think it would be easier giving a wild lion a pill to be honest :lol:

And he is soooooo struggling being a house rabbit :lol:
A50A0521-AF21-44FC-A5F0-E78C6A94945B_zpsctcayp4l.jpg

Last edited:
Oh dear sounds like you are having a struggle with the meds. At least they seem to be doing the trick & healing up that abscess :)

Oh yes I see he hates being a house bunny ;) bet you love having him indoors too

Back