• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nesting

Delta

Warren Scout
Last week I got a baby bun. Baby Lola was a wilde who was rescued at 4 weeks and hand reared. She's now about 10 weeks old and is tiny! We tried bonding her with our 2 year old female Delta but it didn't go well and Lola came off pretty badly so have decided to wait until she's a bit bigger and possibly after she's been spayed.
Today I've noticed that Delta is building a nest in the sheltered part off her cage. She's gathering mouthfuls of straw and taking it there. She hasn't started pulling any fur out yet.
What do I do? Do i clean her out as normal or let her nest build? I'm guessing this has something to do with Lola coming in but I've never had a rabbit do this before

I assume Delta is not spayed ? If not I would arrange an appointment with your Vet to discuss having this done. It will stop a lot of the stressful hormonal behaviour and it will protect her from Uterine infections/cancer.

I would not clear the nest, she will just build another one.

Yes, her behaviour is probably due to the presence of Lola. Are you 100% certain that she is a Doe ?

Yes Delta is spayed. She was spayed over a year ago so can't even say its hormones lingering.

Lola had a vet check 3 weeks ago and they were still saying she was doe but I know how difficult this is to get 100% right when they are so small. Definately no babies regardless though :thumb:

Back