• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Legs still not right after EC treatment

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
So Sparkle had sore hocks. Xrays have been taken - nothing wrong with his x ray. Blood tests showed EC. Treated for 28 days, but he still sits with one back leg splayed to his side. He doesn't move around a great deal and stays inside most of the day.

Any ideas why he would not have improved after EC treatment please ??

Some rabbits never fully recover from EC, even after they have been treated. One of mine still has a dodgy back leg and I expect her to have it for the rest of her life.
Has he had any metacam at all? I would talk to your vet as metacam is an anti inflammatory which may help in reducing the inflamation caused by the parisite, which is what is thought to cause the hind leg paralysis. Its also a pain killer which could help as his leg might be painful to move/ and or from the sore hocks.

Damage caused by EC can be irreversible unfortunately. I would suggest speaking with the Vet again and maybe discussing 'management' options of what may now be a chronic problem.

So Sparkle had sore hocks. Xrays have been taken - nothing wrong with his x ray. Blood tests showed EC. Treated for 28 days, but he still sits with one back leg splayed to his side. He doesn't move around a great deal and stays inside most of the day.

Any ideas why he would not have improved after EC treatment please ??

Did the vet say he felt it was definitely attributable to the EC? How old is Sparkle?

Sparkle is around 6 years old. Blood results came back as positive for EC. x-rays showed no arthritis/spine/leg problems. thanks.

Back