• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Concerned about Nutmeg (update, doing well)

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
She had her vaccination last Friday (8th) and the past few days she's struggling again. She has heart and breathing issues but we'd been on top of it through vetmedin, streptacare and nebulising. Could the vaccine have cause a relapse in her symptoms?

I'm going to phone the vet tomorrow. She's back to sitting with her head up when at rest and she panicked in the nebuliser tonight and I had to stop.

She looks so uncomfortable :( i knew this winter was going to be tough again but I wasn't expecting issues in August. :(

ygy4u3u7.jpg

Last edited:
It's quite possible the vaccine caused a relapse in her symptoms, and I'm so sorry she's poorly.

The Novibac-Myxo-RHD vaccine data sheet says to only vaccinate healthy rabbits. The rabbit needs to be sufficiently well and strong to cope with the demands of mounting a proper immune response.

One of my vaccinated rabbits recently developed a load of ear crusts about a week or so after having the vaccination, and he's totally healthy as far as I know.

Perhaps you could consider echinacea to boost her natural immune system to help with her infection? The vet may wish to adjust her meds for a while until she stabilises again ... Of course it could be a coincidence that she's more poorly at this particular time ..

She had her vaccination last Friday (8th) and the past few days she's struggling again. She has heart and breathing issues but we'd been on top of it through vetmedin, streptacare and nebulising. Could the vaccine have cause a relapse in her symptoms?

I'm going to phone the vet tomorrow. She's back to sitting with her head up when at rest and she panicked in the nebuliser tonight and I had to stop.

She looks so uncomfortable :( i knew this winter was going to be tough again but I wasn't expecting issues in August. :(

ygy4u3u7.jpg

I'm sorry that she is struggling :cry: If it was Mark who vaccinated her then I would be confident that in his opinion her chronic health issues were stable enough and that the risk of not vaccinating was greater than the risk of doing so. Unfortunately it may be that on this occasion the immune response to the vaccine has had an impact on her chronic problems. She may require additional support over the next few weeks. It is often a tough call when dealing with the issue of whether or not to vaccinate a Rabbit with a chronic health problem. Despite all his health issues Morse was always vaccinated as my Vet felt that the risk of not doing so was greater. He never had the new Nobivac Myxo-RHD Vaccine though, he had the single Nobivac Myxo and at a different time the Anivac VHD. This was purly because we did not want to risk the new vaccine on him, we knew he was always OK with the others.

I hope that Nutmeg will feel more comfortable soon xx

Thank you all.

We haven't been able to see Mark for quite a while :( he's so in demand! The vet who vaccinated though I like and am very confident in, she diagnosed the issue to begin with. Nutmeg settled after a few hours and was able in go in her nebuliser this morning. Now sandwiched between the others, they're looking after her :love:

Just phoned and there's nothing they can suggest over the phone, have an appt on Monday (but still not with Mark :()

I remember this well .. We didn't vaccinate Ginger for ages, then when she was, her pasteurella really flared up... It took about a month to get her back to 'normal' (for her).

Keep fighting meggy, vibes for you all x

I've stopped vaccinating any bunny with any sort of long term issue having seen similar reactions to Gray.

I sure hope Nutmeg picksup soon.

As the vaccine works on creating an immune response, it may well have caused the immune system to not concentrate on dealing with her current issues.

I hope the vet can find a way of upping the medication to bring it under control for a few weeks and allowing her immune system to recover a bit and take over again.

Vaccinating wasn't the wrong thing to do - you are just trying to protect her from a disease which carries a big risk at this time of year, but she may need a bit of extra help to get through this. Luckily, as it's the new combi vaccine, you won't need to reassess the situation for a whole year - you can reevaluate the risks then, but for now you just have to concentrate on helping her get through this flare-up.

I hope she picks up again soon xx

Concerned about Nutmeg

She seems happier today but again freaked out this evening when I tried to nebulise her. I might skip out nebulising for a few days as atm it seems to be making it harder for her to breath not easier.

She's back to laying down more instead of standing. If she continues to improve I might cancel the appt because there's no point stressing her again with another hour round trip. I'm finding the webcam invaluable right now as I can go back and check how she's been through the night as I've set it up to pictures every 15 mins.

I agree, a vet visit may not be necessary if she continues to improve and you are nursing her so well at home.

I really hope she continues to get better :wave:

Elena, as she has a long-term condition and you have the meds at home, could you have a phone appointment with the vet?

My vet sees Barney every month and if I am particularly concerned, but in between I often have phone appointments with him to check on Barney's progress and adjust dosage if necessary. Because he sees Barney so often, he's happy to advise over the phone. If you feel a vet visit may make her worse, it might be worth asking about it.

Hi nessar :)

They said their wasn't anything they could advise over the phone but maybe that was more from the vet nurse than the vet. I'll ask about it, ta.

Thought I'd pop a little Meg update for those who are interested. I've stopped the nebulising, she kept panicking when I tried it and I started to worry that maybe it was doing more harm than good. I've also stopped the streptacare for now as when I was away my dad looked after them, and as I figured a break wouldn't do much harm it was a good opportunity to see how she got on without it. And she's doing well, better than on it, she's even having a moult! She hasn't had a moult since about the end of last year, she might finally get rid of her bald patch from the Xray in February!

She's only on the vetmedin for her heart now and as she always associates it with food (I give her her pellets afterwards) she willingly takes it even though it must taste disgusting. So that's another area where stress is lessened. I think keeping her stress to a minimum is really key. I'm just hoping this good patch lasts though the winter.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see that Nutmeg is doing better. :)
I know all too well about the bare patches of fur that don't seem to come back...it's that way for Mimzy now, he's still got a shaved side and neck from his op in August and while the side is beginning very slowly to return the neck is still bare. :( He tilts to that side also, maybe he won't ever grow it back. :?

I couldn't imagine nebulising my bunnies if they needed it, although I see lots on here who do well with it. I have a hard enough time getting Mimz into his old 'hospital box/bed' (a large storage tub that I place him in while I clean his habitat) and that's easily a 75 gallon tub...he despises his carrier so I can imagine he'd go bonkers in a box that had steam/meds coming in. :shock:

Sending continued healthy bunny vibes for Nutmeg. xxxx

Ta :)

I'm glad to see that Nutmeg is doing better. :)
I know all too well about the bare patches of fur that don't seem to come back...it's that way for Mimzy now, he's still got a shaved side and neck from his op in August and while the side is beginning very slowly to return the neck is still bare. :( He tilts to that side also, maybe he won't ever grow it back. :?

I couldn't imagine nebulising my bunnies if they needed it, although I see lots on here who do well with it. I have a hard enough time getting Mimz into his old 'hospital box/bed' (a large storage tub that I place him in while I clean his habitat) and that's easily a 75 gallon tub...he despises his carrier so I can imagine he'd go bonkers in a box that had steam/meds coming in. :shock:

Sending continued healthy bunny vibes for Nutmeg. xxxx

She didn't mind to start with because she was busy eating but I think the vibrations must cause her heart to affect her and even crunchies weren't enough to distract her from it. She's spending a lot of time laying down, feet kicked out, relaxed, it's so nice to see. :D

Hope Mimzy is doing ok.

Back