• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Calling it for Autumn?

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Ack. For those who don't know, he has dysautonomia, which, for him, presents with him having episodes where his gut shuts down and it's obviously exceptionally painful.

We're here again. He's been deteriorating and he a 2-3 week long reoccurent episode in May/June, and he's had a good time and been well (despite a heavy increase in meds) and now he's gone down again, and this is the worst one ever. you can barely see his breathing and he wet himself on me (so unlike him, he's never done this before).

Last time, the vet and I spoke and we are aware that he will reach a point where his guts just won't function, even with all the gut stimulants and fluids and suchlike.

I can't help but wonder whether, with the dramatic turn of this one, if this is that time. I feel like it's fair to try like we normally do, unless he evidently can't cope, but I'm not sure.

I do this every time and he always comes back, but this is different. I can feel it.

I don't even know what I need. I just, I dunno. Needed to share?

I think you need to trust your instincts. Something seems to be telling you that this episode is different, maybe something very subtle that only you can pick up on because you know Autumn so well. When I am presented with similar scenarios C always seems to advise that we give a definite time scale for signs of improvement, eg if no response to treatment at all within 24 hours we may have to call it a day. We base the decision on a specific time scale on the history of the Rabbit's previous 'episodes'- how long they have lasted etc. Also, we consider how frequently they occur.

I am sorry that Autumn is struggling :cry:

I'm so sorry Autumn is not well :cry: I think you will know yourself when the time comes, along with your vets advice too. Thinking of you and sending hugs xx

I think you need to trust your instincts. Something seems to be telling you that this episode is different, maybe something very subtle that only you can pick up on because you know Autumn so well. When I am presented with similar scenarios C always seems to advise that we give a definite time scale for signs of improvement, eg if no response to treatment at all within 24 hours we may have to call it a day. We base the decision on a specific time scale on the history of the Rabbit's previous 'episodes'- how long they have lasted etc. Also, we consider how frequently they occur.

I am sorry that Autumn is struggling :cry:

Thanks everyone.

Thanks Jane. The fear with how he was presenting was that he was in intolerable pain and I wouldn't want to keep him that way any longer than normal. I can see his breathing now, so it's not as bad as it was, which means we both have a bit of breathing space (excuse the pen).

Flame, one of Autumn's bonded friends, has also gone down hard- for him, I think it's teeth (rather than his back, because his movement is good and this is exactly what he did with teeth before). I suspect Autumn, with him being such a sensitive soul, is having this episode as a stress reaction to knowing his buddy isn't well. Initially he kept trying to snuggle up to Flame before he got really bad.

We've been to the emergency vets for Flame. Autumn is all over the place and we may well be back there before the night is out.

Poor wish is the only one of the enthusiastic, chaotic, life loving loppy trio to be normal and bouncy and she evidently misses her pals being bouncy too. She looks quite lost and bored.

Oh no, hope Flame and Autumn are ok? Poor Wish, it must be awkward for her :( hope you are ok?

Oh no, I am sorry that they are both so unwell :cry: I really hope that today will bring about some improvement for them xx

Thank you both :) this morning we are all good.

I went to bed having done the necessaries for both (meds for both, syringe fed Flame, gave Autumn sub cut fluids) and when I work up a short while later both had find that 'ping' thing and were completely normal. Flame was eating apple leaves and Autumn was giving an apple stick hell.

Phew.

Back