• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Enrichment Book

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
So, I've had this idea in the back of my head for awhile about doing a book on enrichment for rabbits. I touched on it in my behaviour book but it's such a big topic I could easily write a whole book on it :D My plan would be to cover setting up the environment i.e. housing etc., plus food from an enrichment perspective, and a ton of toy & activities ideas. What do you think? What sort of content would you want?

I'm also thinking about the format. I'd love to do a full colour book but I think it would ramp the cost up too much to appeal to a lot of the general public. So if you were reading, would you prefer black & white photos (if so only if gloss paper?) or line drawings? I'll probably go smaller i.e. A5 too.

Thanks
Tamsin

Personally, i like line drawings.. I dont like black and white photos but overall, it sounds like a really good idea. A5 is a good size too:thumb:

I think line drawings too. Sounds like a great idea. A similar format to your 'Wabbit Habbits' Book would work well as it is informative but easy to read.

Brilliant idea !
When I was doing an assignment at uni about rabbit enrichment I found that there were not many books available on the subject at all. The ones that were around were not that great and really out of date.
When I first got into rabbits I found your line drawings brilliant! They were so useful and clear compared to others available.
Let us all know when it's available :)
Nikki

Have you thought about releasing it digitally too? Then you could do the photos there possibly?

I love the line drawings though, it feels personal without being fixated on the bunny (and their cuteness!) in a photo. I would LOVE a book on enrichment.

Wouldn't it be awesome if you had leaflets in somewhere like P@H in store that they gave out? It would reach a lot of people then and probably make a big difference to a lot of buns. You could then have a "buy the book here" bit at the bottom maybe?

Thanks, I'm glad the idea of drawings is so popular - I thought everyone would say photos would be better :)

I expect I'll do a digital version too, so if I do add b/w photos then I'll save colour versions for that.

It will be the same sort writing style as my other book - hopefully an easy read and quite practical, rather than a reference textbook stuffed with big words.

Thanks everyone that's been really helpful. I guess I better start typing up a list of enrichment ideas then :lol:

Something like this?

cardboardubeball_zps52a531ec.jpg

That drawing is great. It is clear and informative for an adult but I'd think children would be interested to help making that too which is great. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, that's one page down, I'm aiming for about 80-100 :)

With the increasingly wide use of ereaders etc would a full colour electronic version be an option?

So many options, it's tough to know what to pick for the best! I find most people buy my other book in paper format rather than ebook - I'm not sure if the uptake on reference books is quite the level as for fiction? Plus some ebook readers are still black & white and I think photos in black & white would probably be less clear than line drawings.

I'm contemplating the possibility of a colour insert (where there is a section of the book in colour) which works out a lot cheaper than a whole book in colour. Then maybe use that to show case a couple of really nice full 'setups' as inspiration of what you are aiming for with the rest of the book the step by step to make/build things. There will be a lot of tips/info/ideas on setup/environment not just toys, and I think that would benefit from photos as they make it seem more like something you can achieve.

I love the idea for the book. I am always trying to find ways to stop my little house bunnies eating everything they shouldnt (bored bunnies = nibbles everywhere). I like the line drawings too and they dont date quite as quickly as photos do.

I like the idea of a downloadable PDF and ebooks best as I seem to only read ebooks at the moment! :)

I look forwards to reading it!

Back