• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Off to vets with all three buns in A.M. ... early! *yawn* U/D post #9

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
I am going to be soooooo tired! :shock:
I have to drive all three in at 8 in the morning, which as an insomniac is stupid o' clock for me. I wonder if I can ask for some spare vibes for them coming through this visit well, because more than one of them may need a dental, they all need bum and nail trims and I may ask Dr. to clip that nasty fatty lump off Mimzy while she's at it since it's getting bigger and seems to be interfering a bit with his movement.
All three are getting older and don't do well with journeys as they used to, Mimzy especially. :(
Any other vibes going spare to keep my eyes open and my mind sharp and the car from breaking down while driving the 60 mile round trip would be ace! :thumb:
Many, many thanks in advance! :love:

Last edited:
It sounds like it will a major mission getting everybun there.

Sending vibes for a peaceful journey and an easy vet visit.

And I think you will need a long rest and a strong cuppa after that one!

Bit of a waste, that :(

Well we got back about noon. Dr was able to do things like trim nails, give each bun a once over; Mimzy's lump is definitely bigger so we're looking at removal, Pip got some silvadene for her sore hocks and Fiver does have a massive spur on one side and smaller ones elsewhere, so all told they really need dentals and to have their ears cleaned and their bums shaved. However the surgery was booked solid for the day (Aw! Come on, that's what I got here early for!) so there was no way they could be done this afternoon. :(
So I basically got up early for nothing, but on the upside no one is deathly ill or needing intense treatment...although I've gotten a lot of bunnitude and stinkeye after getting home because they really didn't want to have to go anywhere that early either! :roll:

I almost fell asleep sitting in the waiting room when I got there, I was so shattered. Panicked thinking how was I going to get the shopping done, collect three groggy buns and head home...kind of glad I didn't have to.
Sometime around the 27th, my vet is going to try to get three blocks of time set up for them if the attending that day isn't needing the operating theater, which she says she usually doesn't. My vet is coming in specially for me because she knows I trust her with my bunnies.
If she can't be there the practice owner will do to help them out, because poor Fiver really needs his done and I'd like to get them all taken care of at the same time. She couldn't even fit him in today.

In the meantime, I am almost a puddle on the floor, but for some nasty welts I've been dealing with for the last few weeks which may be (groan!) hay mites getting me. All this time I thought I was having bad reactions to mosquito bites but when I couldn't sleep any longer at 5 this morning I googled insect bites and this seems to be the most likely culprit. So if anyone has good home remedies for taking the itch out of these things I'd love some ideas. I've used cortisone cream, neosporin with pain relief, ammonia pens, anti-itch creams of all sorts and in desperation, hemorrhoid wipes (do NOT laugh) loaded with hydrogen peroxide (some of the places I've scratched have become infected apparently) and that seems to be the only thing short of taking hot showers all day that will give me any relief.
Not sure now which recently delivery of hay has infested me with the little blighters. Either way it's about $120 a pop worth of hay that I may have to torch and replace and I don't know where to go to get new stuff that isn't full of bugs. :roll:

Not my week. :cry:
Sorry...whinge over.

I do want to thank everyone for sending your vibes my way, I really was terrified to do this today but somehow I got through...must've been all of you in my corner! :thumb: :D xxxxxxx

Gosh, what a day :shock: as you say at least no one is seriously ill, but it is a shame they couldn't have had everything done at once to save you another mammoth trip :shock: Bunnitude and stinkeye :lol: I love that :love:

I don't know about the insect bites, if they could be from the hay or not, but would antihistamines be worth a try? Maybe post a new post about that, there's a lot of wise people on RU, I'm sure there'll be a load of ideas for you :thumb:

Glad it went well, but poor you having to take them back again another time especially after taking them in early :(.

Aloe vera can be quite soothing for some things. I don't know if you have tried that. Apart from that all I can think of is antihistamines, or plastering yourself with camomile lotion :lol:

I must remember to check in on how you go with the next visit.
Sending {{{vibes}}} in advance!

Mmm, I know vinegar can help on some bites.
I also heard you can "freeze" hay to deal with haymite.
Not long term, just putting it in a bag or container and popping in freezer for a day or so.
Something along those lines...

Not quite sure how I missed this thread :oops:

It sounds to have been an exhausting day. I am glad to hear that there are no serious issues, but I bet the thought of having to do the trip all over again does not fill you with joy.

Glad you got through the day OK.

I too have heard of putting hay in the freezer for a day to kill any mites but not really sure what you do :?

Well it wasn't a waste getting up as they all got the once over & you know there is nothing serious with any of them :)

I hope their next visit goes well and everybun gets sorted quickly.

No advice for the mites but I hope you are able to source something that helps soon.

Yes, it was good to know they are all tolerably well apart from their needs for their future visit. I was also fortunate that day in that I didn't get back on the road right afterwards, but ran for a cup of coffee at Starbucks because I was yawning my head off. When I reached the intersection to go home I wound up having to detour because a trailer truck had toppled over not making the turn...I very well could've wound up underneath that truck had I not been delayed by my caffeine addiction! :lol: Wound up going the long way home but hey...considering the alternative! Also, for me to successfully drive out at that hour of the morning and back again without having one of my freak outs is huge. I have such a hard time traveling these days and I use to do it all the time when I was younger.

Thank you for all your well wishes and suggestions, everyone. :) Yeah I've heard of freezing the hay too but I'm not certain it kills them, just slows them down. We've had an awfully wet summer here and humidity was unnaturally high for some of it so I'm guessing they are always here but just suddenly sprouted in the right conditions. Glad the bunnies aren't being bothered, it's just me they love for some reason. :?

Well roll on winter then! :lol: Never thought I'd say that! :shock:
I've done some more reading and they can't really live on human hosts...it's other bugs they usually feed off of, so hopefully they'll be gone before long. We've had a LOT of little moths crop up outside lately...never seen the like. I think the warmer winters are failing to kill off stuff that normally wouldn't thrive here.

Jerseygirl! :wave::wave::wave: How are you? I've missed seeing you. Are all the bubs doing well? I did try using some apple cider vinegar but it didn't do much I'm afraid. I keep a bottle handy as a shampoo rinse for Jenna and it works great on her to stop yeast buildup. The odd thing about these is even after they've scarred and healed the area is still itchy...like chicken pox! :shock: You're supposed to try and not scratch them but it's a labour of Hercules. :roll: I've got some hydrocrotisone cream but it doesn't last long and oral antihistamines give me vertigo for some stupid reason. :( The hydrogen peroxide seems to be the best way to go at present.

I think I've only had two new bites in the last 48 hours though so maybe they are dying out. I sure hope so! I've never had a problem quite like this with my hay before and I know the supplier won't refund me. :?

Best cup of coffee ever! I don't even what to think about you and the babies being anywhere near that truck.

Jerseygirl! How are you? I've missed seeing you. Are all the bubs doing well?
They are well thanks MM. :love:
Very tolerant of their human who has not been sticking to their routine very well!

and oral antihistamines give me vertigo for some stupid reason.
Huh. That is odd. It's these that can help relieve nausea and vertigo, as we know from out head tilt bunnies. Of course, meds can have all sorts of side effects. :/

Have you been able to spot the mites? It wouldn't be a mold or some type of fungus affecting you would it? Or even a pollen you could be sensitive to?

Last edited:
No Jerz, I don't think so. :( I originally thought I might've eaten something that caused me to break out in hives but it just looks too much like mite welts.
I really can't afford to see a doctor about this either but I am concerned about any more showing up. I suppose I should just chuck all the hay. If I can find something decent from a local farm it may be the only solution...not too familiar with the farms here though.

The problem with something like this is the bugs can be long gone but you still feel like you're being bitten or crawled upon. Yuck! :evil: Supposedly they're only 0.2 mm long unless the female is engorged with blood...then that much of her may be visible. I haven't seen anything yet though and don't expect to. They seem to do most of their biting at night. :(

Back