• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

It's been going on about 3 months or so now. It will be very interesting to see what proportion of them pass through rescues at a later date, as it's now identifiable as to where they came from. Same with rabbits that are dumped/found as strays etc. It won't be as easy an option just turfing them out as they are tracable.

I'm a bit annoyed with P@H as I was told £35 was the adoption fee for a rabbit from them, and was told it was the same as the stock rabbit price, which had just gone up. However, they failed to tell me the stock rabbits get a free microchip - which if they suggested the same price I think I should have also got a microchip. I paid £16 for Theo's :evil:

My local rabbit rescue lady told me about this.Her concerns are that rabbits that return to stores having been found/abandoned etc will be homed maybe not as carefully as a good rescue would rehome and so the cycle could continue.Would bypassing the rescue process mean that some rabbits COULD be rehomed to unsuitable homes more than once?

Traceability has to be a good thing surely. Sounds like a great move by P@H to me. Wish all pet shops and breeders would do the same. It'd be a huge step forward wouldn't it?

Last edited:
My local rabbit rescue lady told me about this.Her concerns are that rabbits that return to stores having been found/abandoned etc will be homed maybe not as carefully as a good rescue would rehome and so the cycle could continue.Would bypassing the rescue process mean that some rabbits COULD be rehomed to unsuitable homes more than once?
Conspiracy theory twollop.

I've assumed that the chip is registered to the owner of the rabbit, I *think* it would be illegal to sell them with P@H details on the chip (though I could be wrong with that). Though the rabbits would be easily traceable as having been sold through P@H which is a good thing all round, I'm pretty sure that doesn't mean they will go back to P@H. To me it's only a good thing they are doing this. All my rabbits are chipped and this is giving out a message that rabbits are important enough to chip... rescues and individuals finding strays etc will be more inclined to look for a chip as it's seen as more likely that they will be chipped. Even if the owner doesn't want them back you then have details of the age of the animal.

I can't think of any downsides to this from a responsible owner's point of view.

FYI There are no details on the chip other than a unique serial number. So any degree of traceability relies on organisations and people registering that serial number along with their details with some kind of registration service which does not necessarily have to be the nationally available one used by vets, RSPCA etc. So it is feasible for a pet shop to keep a list of chip numbers in pets they have sold and not share it with others. But I see no motivation for P@H to use that so they could discriminate against buns that had passed through their hands previously. More useful would be to trace unhealthy animals back to whoever supplied them for instance.

Sorry,i didnt explain very well.I just meant that PAH don't home or rehome any rabbits with the same care that a rescue would.Not specifically any returned ones.

Seemed clear to me. Otherwise it's got nothing to do with microchipping. Anyway, you're just citing your "local rabbit rescue lady". Does she insist that all her buns are chipped and registered when rehomed? Why are all rescues necessarily going to home a rabbit better than any P@H? She seems to favour broad and illogical sweeping assertions. I've never been a fan of the self-righteous. Gets my back up. Nothing to do with you.

Last edited:
My Kizzy is micro chipped, because she is a bit of an escape artist but I was told its quite painful for a rabbit so it was done under a general when she was spayed. I never got Bob microchipped because he isn't a wanderer he won't even go into the hall even if the door is wide open. (Bob has 'issues' because of neglect by his previous owners).

After Kizzy was micro chipped I had to register her details on-line. As long as this is done when the rabbit is sold the details would be traced back to the buyer rather than the seller, I can't see why the RSPCA would ever return the rabbit to the seller or a previous owner rather than the current owner. If there are doubts about the owners suitability I would imagine the RSPCA would handle it in the same way they would with any other animal they rescue and would take responsibility for re-homing if necessary.

Last edited:
Seemed clear to me. Otherwise it's got nothing to do with microchipping. Anyway, you're just citing your "local rabbit rescue lady". Does she insist that all her buns are chipped and registered when rehomed? Why are all rescues necessarily going to home a rabbit better than any P@H? She seems to favour broad and illogical sweeping assertions. I've never been a fan of the self-righteous. Gets my back up. Nothing to do with you.

Yes she microchips/registers,neuters,bonds and homechecks.Im finding your tone abit off so im not coming back to this thread.I only quoted my "local rabbit rescue lady"as she had some concerns about it.Not everyones view I know.

Last edited:
Yes she microchips/registers,neuters,bonds and homechecks.Im finding your tone abit off so im not coming back to this thread.I only quoted my "local rabbit rescue lady"as she had some concerns about it.Not everyones view I know.
It does read like I was in a bit of a grump. Sorry about that. :eek: She sounds most excellent.

I agree. Your local rescue does everything in their power to ensure a good home is found. Pets at Home along with many other pet shops are not particularly fussy who takes the animals so inevitably animals are likely to fall into the wrong hands particularly if people are not given the best advice which frequently happens

:wave: I wasnt given the forms to register sooty when i got him from the pah adoptions so i presume they did it as they put my details on it probably to make sure people actually register it. Also i think its the national database they register the chip number on as they said if he manages to escape and someone finds him they will find his chip and he should find his way back to me.
then again ive never micro chipped a bun or got one from pets at home so i could be wrong :lol:

I agree. Your local rescue does everything in their power to ensure a good home is found. Pets at Home along with many other pet shops are not particularly fussy who takes the animals so inevitably animals are likely to fall into the wrong hands particularly if people are not given the best advice which frequently happens

It would be interesting if breeders all had to microchip their rabbits too. Just like Pets at Home, they don't do home checks either ..

Back