• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nutmeg sore eye help

Louwillis

Young Bun
Hi all

Need some suggestions. Had nutmeg out in living room again last night trying to get him used to moving about with his head tilt. He is doing really well but noticed last night that his down facing eye has a bald patch above it and looks a little pink. I just don't know what he has done. It was fine on Monday evening cause I had a look at it to make sure it is clean etc so this has happen in just a couple of days does anyone have any suggestions? I have an appt at vets this evening cause last thing he needs is another infection but just an idea of how he has done it would be great

If his head is very tilted he may have caught the top of his eye on something on the floor. Head tilt Rabbits often need to have artificial tears applied to their eyes several times a day as they can be very prone to'Dry Eye'. This can then lead to inflammation and secondary bacterial infection aswell as corneal ulceration.

Hope all goes well at the Vets.

His head is not that far over now which is what is puzzling me. Will have to wait and see what the vet says about dry eye he has had head tilt for about 5 and half weeks now should he have been having drops all this time?

His head is not that far over now which is what is puzzling me. Will have to wait and see what the vet says about dry eye he has had head tilt for about 5 and half weeks now should he have been having drops all this time?

I have always used them in cases of Head Tilt

So been to the vets with nutmeg this evening and he now has ointment for his eye more metacam and still on antibiotics poor little mite must hate me right now. Have just done his 1st lot of eye ointment and it has really disoriented him I made sure I gave him a long cuddle after putting the ointment in but he has been rolling worse than ever. Simon is on hols this week and not too keen on vet he saw today but we have an appt with Simon next Friday so will hopefully find out the cause then cause the vet today bearly spoke two words to me and just said would give us some thing for it 😞
Am going out tomorrow to buy bath mats for in nutmegs cage too so I can keep it much cleaner in there for him 😊

Back