• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxomatosis - still possible when vaccinated?

o-Chloe-o

Mama Doe
Hi All

I havent been on here in ages, not since both my lovely rabbits passed away 2 years ago.. :(

I have been thinking alot about adopting rabbits again but I have some concerns about Myxomatosis.

Basically where we live is very lovely because we have wild rabbits running freely through our garden, however, I have noticed a lot with Myxi...

Although of course if we adopted rabbits again we would have a secure run and have them vaccinated, is it still possible for them to get Myxi despite this as there is such a high risk of coming into contact with infected wild rabbits?

Please I would be grateful for some advice, I dont know enough about it so would like to know a bit more please.

Thanks

Chloe

I am sure someone more expert than me will reply - but I believe that yes, it is still possible for buns to get myxi after vaccination BUT the bun is more than likely to survive myxi if they are vaccinated.:thumb:

They can still get myxi after being vaccinated, but it is more likely to be the nodular form and they have more chance of recovering from it.

What others have said. But I think it's less likely with the newer combined vaccine? Could be wrong

What others have said. But I think it's less likely with the newer combined vaccine? Could be wrong

I agree

my buns used to have the separate and when we changed to the combined i think my vet said that the new combined prevents even mild/nodular forms of myxomatosis forming, however that was 2 years ago so i might me wrong.

Yes, they can still contract Myxi when they are vaccinated. It can still be fatal, but with lots of care and intensive nursing, they can recover. I believe its a long road though, and some people question whether its fair putting the bun through it. I couldnt say how Id feel unless I was put in that situation, as Ive never seen it in domestic buns. I believe a less serious form is the nodular myxi, which some members on here have experienced, although I dont know if theyre still knocking around, as I have only recently returned myself!

We live in the middle of a farm so we also have wild rabbits coming into the garden and they can (and do) get very close to my pair in their aviary. Unfortunately the wildies here have got really bad myxi and the population has been virtually decimated right now :( The risk of them coming into contact with the virus is increased because not only are the usual mozzies a problem, but there's more chance of them coming into direct contact with rabbit fleas which is a more direct transmission route.

Yes vaccinated bunnies can still get a form of myxi but it is normally far less severe. One of mine has come down with it right now - she has one single nodule on her lip, presumably at the site she was bitten. She was only about 2 weeks before the end of the year and was booked for her booster when this happened, so it does also show that the longer duration of immunity is true!! Bertram her partner has presumably also been in contact with it and he hasn't developed anything at all.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?428525-Beatrice-s-myxo-nodule

My vet did say that she sees far less of it with the new vaccine and far less severe, and she's never had a terminal outcome with a vaccinated rabbit. The new vaccine is actually made from the myxo virus whereas the previous one relied on cross-immunity from a similar virus, so that is probably one of the reasons that it seems to be more effective. Of course there is always a chance that the rabbit won't develop full immunity for some reason (e.g. underlying health issue which may or may not have been known about) but if bunnies are vaccinated, the prognosis is good.

Back