• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not completely normal shaped poos...

Holhol

Alpha Buck
I've just changed Fergies litter tray out and noticed a couple of oddly shaped poos and I'm worrying myself silly and googling is making it worse!

The vast vast majority of them are normal big round golden poos, but there are the odd ones that are more like elongated ovals/spheres. There's only a few but they're definitely more oblong oval than circle if that makes any sense.
He's been a brilliant hay eater recently and really healthy (vet checked a month ago), his poos are the best they've ever been at the moment but I'm worrying about megacolon because I've seen a few pics with similar shaped poos :(

I've started giving him grass recently but it's been very slowly introduced and we've had no problems. He is still moulting round his bum and back legs and there's a bit of fur in the weird poos. Could it be either of these?

Is it worth a vet trip? I'm so broke that I could really do without it this week but have a credit card if need be.
Can someone stop me worrying please :( I'll try and get some poo pics later

I didnt want to read and run.. I cant help but hope someone with this knowledge can help.

Fee x

I very much doubt it's megacolon. It is far more likely to be a slight change in gut motility. I would keep him on a mostly hay diet for a few days and keep an eye on his output.

I very much doubt it's megacolon. It is far more likely to be a slight change in gut motility. I would keep him on a mostly hay diet for a few days and keep an eye on his output.

Thanks Jane. He gets very few pellets anyway so won't have to change much. Stopped worrying as much now :) I'll keep an eye on the little monster :)

Don't worry too much. I had this problem with my bun, Xena, for a few months. It took me ages to figure out what was causing these odd shaped poos (and like your bun the majority of her poos were fine). I finally realised that it was readigrass causing the problem. I don't give her any at all and it pretty much sorted her out completely. I found that probiotics (I use Protexin pellets) have been very helpful for her. :thumb:

Don't worry too much. I had this problem with my bun, Xena, for a few months. It took me ages to figure out what was causing these odd shaped poos (and like your bun the majority of her poos were fine). I finally realised that it was readigrass causing the problem. I don't give her any at all and it pretty much sorted her out completely. I found that probiotics (I use Protexin pellets) have been very helpful for her. :thumb:

Thanks :) I just worry about everything with him :) I think if it's anything that's caused it like with yours it'll be grass which is a shame because he loves it :( but that's the only new thing in his diet. I'm sure he'll be fine, he's binkying around my room and just used my bed as a toilet so he must be fine! :lol:

Thanks :) I just worry about everything with him :) I think if it's anything that's caused it like with yours it'll be grass which is a shame because he loves it :( but that's the only new thing in his diet. I'm sure he'll be fine, he's binkying around my room and just used my bed as a toilet so he must be fine! :lol:

Yes, I found grass also triggered it but using the probiotic pellets helped to put a stop to that. Readigrass is very rich and I just think her guts simply can't handle it, unfortunately. My plan was to feed readigrass throughout the winter so that I wouldn't have to introduce grass as slowly. :roll:

Back