• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do?

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
So, today, yet another bunny diagnosed with what will turn out to be a terminal problem (likely thymoma). He's the fourth relative to succumb to these symptoms. Two are dead, one living and managing well, and then him.

We're going for the same regime as the others, for obvious reasons, and it's worked to make life more comfortable for the others.

Now the dilemma.

He needs to be nebulised. Problem being, he is bonded with a blind rabbit, who fights him whenever he is out of her 'sight' and smells different (I can't even take him out to cut his nails, he has to have his nails cut, with her there, 'supervising' every move). I used to use vanilla on bunnies to mask smells, but this freaks her out, so that's a no go.

So, I can't see a way to separate him to nebulise him.

We (our vet, and I) talked about nebulising them both, which is feasible, but it may make her high :?

We could potentially miss out the nebuliser step and go straight to the bronchodilator as a management strategy, which would be next on the list anyway.

Does anyone have any bright ideas about this? Thanks in advance.

I also said that, because of who she is and how she is, she will likely turn on him as he gets frailer, and how I won't be pushing it if she does, because, yes, I could separate him and nurse him alone, but that's not right or fair, and I'd rather he have a shorter but happier life, than have any extra month, or whatever, but be miserable and alone. :(

I would probably go straight on to the bronchodilator.

I have had a blind Rabbit who would attack her sighted partner if I removed him from their enclosure for even a few seconds, so I totally understand what you mean. I also agree about the decision not to 'push things' should his blind friend become a bully toward him. In my opinion you are absolutely right that a shorter life being happy with his friend is better than having an extra few weeks being depressed and alone.

Thank you Jane. That helps to reassure me that I'm not neglecting him, by looking at a wider picture than just his health. Thank you :)

Is he a people rabbit? If you think he might tolerate it you could try nebulising him in his house with her there, with the face mask. I've only nebulised rats, but they soon got the idea it was helping them and would come over and sit with their face in it.

Is he a people rabbit? If you think he might tolerate it you could try nebulising him in his house with her there, with the face mask. I've only nebulised rats, but they soon got the idea it was helping them and would come over and sit with their face in it.

I think if the situation is anything like I had with Chloe (blind) and Rodney I could not even pick him up and move him to a different place within their enclosure without making Chloe start to attack Rodney (who would then fight back). Even if in the same area the blind Bunny cannot see their partner and if a strange smell ( a human) starts interfering it can really upset the carrot cart so-to-speak

Sky-O, there is no way you would ever neglect any Rabbit in your care. You are probably the most intuitive Rabbit Carer I 'know' and you always look at the 'bigger picture'. If I were to fall off my perch I'd be very happy for all my Rabbits to come to live with you.

Oh dear !! :lol: Dont worry, I dont intend troubling the Undertaker just yet :lol:

I did consider this. It may be theoretically possible, but it would mean wires and suchlike in their area (which she would dessimate), it would mean the nebuliser and all it's wires being exposed to the weather (their enclosure is the further one away- can't swap them elsewhere due to her and the other bunnies around) and I've nebulised bunnies this way before and it freaked them right now. I think she would have to be involved and there and even then, because he would end up smelling very different, I don't think she would work with it. I'd also have to roll her all over myself first :lol: (which is what I do when I pick him up for any other reason).

Jack's-Jane said:
I think if the situation is anything like I had with Chloe (blind) and Rodney I could not even pick him up and move him to a different place within their enclosure without making Chloe start to attack Rodney (who would then fight back). Even if in the same area the blind Bunny cannot see their partner and if a strange smell ( a human) starts interfering it can really upset the carrot cart so-to-speak

Sky-O, there is no way you would ever neglect any Rabbit in your care. You are probably the most intuitive Rabbit Carer I 'know' and you always look at the 'bigger picture'. If I were to fall off my perch I'd be very happy for all my Rabbits to come to live with you.

Oh dear !! Dont worry, I dont intend troubling the Undertaker just yet

That's like the highest form of compliment ever! Thank you :love: And thank you for your support.

You once taught me a very important line.

Quality over Quantity.

You also taught me to follow my gut, reading your post, i think your gut is telling you to skip the nebuliser but you just wanted someone else to clarify to confirm your feelings :)

You will make the right choice, for that individual bunny, based on the situation and all that it encompasses.

Good luck and i'm sorry you're facing this yet again :(

Back