• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nipping bunny.

Abbiebutler

Young Bun
So we had a disaster during cleaning out today.

We have 3 female bunnies. 2 live in a pair and one lives alone (don't worry, we are working on getting her a friend)

Basically one of the pair managed too get too the lone bunny and the lone bunny bit her nose, now she is bleeding. She seems fine in herself and is eating.

What should we do about the bite? Clean it up? And it will heal it's self? There isn't tonnes of blood, but we definitely don't want an infection.

Thanks in advance x

Ouch poor thing. I would want my bunny to see a vet to check the bite & to help stop any infection. You could call an out of hours vet for advice. You said there's not a lot of blood but is it continual or does the wound look deep?

Sometimes its good to post a pic then the more knowledgeable members can give you the best advice. A snap shot with your phone would be fine :)

If you're not experienced with wound care a trip to the vet is best, as it needs the bulk of any scab cleaned off and checked in case their is fur in the wound. Then I might want to cover with baytril, depending how deep the wound is and infection potential. If an infection did develop I would want her on penicillin. I second that a picture would be helpful :)

Back