• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny pooping uncontrollably/diarrhoea/Update anther issue

cara

Alpha Buck
Taken from another forum, a bunny (abroad) is pooping uncontrollably and in a right mess. Vet has put him on a drip for 10 mins and given antibio, sent him home and told the owner to return tomorrow.

What advice can we give? I have suggested he is admitted as this is an emergency and I doubt he will survive going by the description :(

Last edited:
Quote "She was doing everything normally until 2 evenings ago. Yesterday morning I woke up, fed her pellets which she ate less enthusiastically than usual, passed normal poop and a few minutes later started stretching and lying limp plus passing severe diarrhoea. The poop seems less liquidy now but I'm sure it's cos she's not eating. The drip may help for a while but she won't be getting any drip tomorrow as it's a feast :(. "

This is again taken from thread (with permission). I am appealing again for any suggestions to help this poor bunny.

Last edited:
Quote "Yesterday did 1 antibiotic shot and 10mins drip. Today repeated the same thing again and asked me to go pick up some drops to treat possible intestinal parasites."

She is now going to consult another vet.

Diarrhea needs aggressive immediate treatment, and the correct meds need to be given depending on what the cause of the diarrhea is, eg. pathogenic bacteria, coccidiosis, mycotoxins. If it is due to clostridium the correct antibiotic and possibly questran(absorbs toxins, needs aggressive fluid therapy), need to be given immediately, as the toxins released can prove fatal very quickly. If the antibiotic isn't the correct one for the cause of the diarrhea, it's not going to help.

It really is an emergency situation, and the rabbit shouldn't have been sent home.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html

Thanks for reply. Have copied and paste so the owner can read.

The latest news is that the rabbit was eating a little hay so fingers crossed.

It's best to have the rabbit admitted for a few more days. It needs a thorough check-up so it can be properly diagnosed. But I am glad that it's feeling a little fine now. I hope that will continue.

Quote:

"I didn't give her much (Apple) Just one tiny piece as she insists on not eating anything in her food tray. Was getting desperate. I tried 3 flavours of hay and straw. She just insists on not eating it. Sometimes I see her trying but it seems like she can't. I don't know how to explain it, it's so strange."

The rabbit is also biting at the wall, clothes etc. any ideas? Teeth? Poops remain runny. The rabbit has ate very little.

Has the vet done a fecal test? The two most common causes of diarrhea in rabbits are the protozoal parasite coccidia, and the bacteria e. coli. Both can be fatal if the correct medication isn't given for treatment. If it is true watery diarrhea, I doubt this has to do with a dental problem. The teeth could be checked just in case this has something to do with the current problems, but the symptoms seem to have more to do with a digestive illness. Likely the biting at things is due to the rabbit being severely ill and in pain.

If a fecal test hasn't been done yet, that should be done right away. But even then fecal test results can sometimes be inaccurate. Since the rabbit is obviously not improving, it may be necessary to go ahead and treat for both of these just in case either of these is the cause.

With the rabbit not eating, this rabbit is going to need supplemental feeding, if that is something that isn't already being done.

Is this person in a country that they might be able to find a more experienced rabbit vet? Do you know which antibiotic was given?

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Generalities/Enteritis_en.htm
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Protozoal_diseases/Cocc_en.htm (WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES)

Yes, Baytrill. The country is Malta and I have suggested another vets.

I will copy and paste your reply, thanks.

Back