• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit health plan

Hesperus

Warren Veteran
My vets are doing a rabbit health plan (annual fee, everything included) but I'm really disappointed.

I'm not sure how much thought has gone into it because they don't routinely recommend worming, yet the treatment plan includes panacur for worming and Rearguard.
I'm sure I read on here that using Panacur routinely without need is bad because it lowers its effectiveness when needed for EC?

I just feel disappointed in them... silly I know.... but I can't see a point in a health plan that includes treatments that are unnecessary.

Was this with medivet?

They offered it to me but i declined because as you say, it really is for things that I don't think are neccessarily routinely reccommended. If you don't want it anymore can you cancel?

I started a thread on it a couple of weeks ago because I felt it was a money making venture rather than them actually caring about the animal :roll:

Was this with medivet?

They offered it to me but i declined because as you say, it really is for things that I don't think are neccessarily routinely reccommended. If you don't want it anymore can you cancel?

I started a thread on it a couple of weeks ago because I felt it was a money making venture rather than them actually caring about the animal :roll:

No, it's a independent vet practice- and usually a very good one. I really trust that they are working hard to do the best for bunnies so that's why I was a bit disappointed as it seems like you say it's for money and going against RWAF advice

No, it's a independent vet practice- and usually a very good one. I really trust that they are working hard to do the best for bunnies so that's why I was a bit disappointed as it seems like you say it's for money and going against RWAF advice

It is a shame, I guess at the end of the day all vets are businesses, it is very sad.

My cats vet is so good, they go through all different options and costs with you before they do any treatment, with all other vets I have been to they normally just do as they wish then present you with a huge bill at the counter afterwards. I got to the point with my old bun that if the bill was under £100 it was a good day.

Some vets do recommend worming yearly. I don't do it myself as I feel it is unnecessary, but I imagine it was included because the cat and dog ones include worming.

I have Healthy Pet Club for Annabella - it's £9.99 a month. A lot of vet practices subscribe to it: http://www.thehealthypetclub.co.uk/category/160

Yes, I saw that some do but when I researched into it the RWAF and other rabbit-savvy places are quite against it.

I don't know whether to mention it to the vet.... that link looks much better than their scheme. Perhaps I could ask why they recommend worming?

Back