• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit not taking his antibiotics

ANNASBUNNIES

Warren Scout
I am after some advice my bunny gizmo has a urine infection, he has given antibiotics which he took yesterday but today he won't let me near his mouth, I have tried putting it with purée apple but he turned his nose up at that so tried putting on some apple still didn't want it. How else can I get him to take his antibiotics?

Hi

My rabbit {who is also called Gizmo :) ) is on antibiotics for life due to ongoing problems with abscess etc. He hates his meds but I have to get them into him every day. I have to be quite forceful and tilt his head up. Then stick my finger in the side of his mouth and squirt the soloution in. I normally put a bit of juice in the end of the syringe so the taste is nice or dip the outer edge in apple or your bunnies favourite treat.

Also always have a treat they love and give that to them as soon as they take the meds to avoid them spitting it out which Gizmo tries sometimes.

However if this is still too difficult you can ask your vet to do the antibiotics via injection which you can administer at home when the vet shows you how, if you feel confident enough to do this. if not its trips to the vets to get it done :roll:

Hope you manage to get the drugs in your gizmo.

My bunny was on antibiotics for about a month last January. He was a tiny baby (250gr <3), so he had to take 1/80 of a pill, so the vet told me to cut the pill in 4 & then smash one quarter to powder & blend with a pea of vegetable butter. Then, I was creating a long "worm" & cut in 20. He would lick it off my finger happily. The rest could be kept in the fridge.
I don't know if your antibiotic is in pill form, but if it is, it might worth to try, especially if he is a cuddly bunny & licks you:D

Thanks everyone. I have manage to get him to have his antibiotics by syringe. I wrapped him in a towel on my sons lap and open the side of his mouth and 2 squirts and it was in. Will have to do it again later.

I soak pellets and put a bit of the medicine on the pellet then feed it to them, otherwise I'd just get a very stressed out rabbit! It's only baytril I have the problem with, apparently they changed the flavour from banana to liver :?

Back